iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Modded Hollow Point from my nats/worlds freestyles  (Read 2055 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Modded Hollow Point from my nats/worlds freestyles
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:05:48 AM »

To raise money for the Miamisburg 2013 All-Star Tour (a video documentary of the visit of Alan, Daveid and Neff to the Whirled Festival of Tops, the Hall of Fame and Cincy Top Labs), I will be auctioning one of my modded Spintastics Hollow Points. It will also serve as the symbolic start of a new fundraising season to support future spintop projects. It may also take out of my back those who have been bugging me to sell them one  :D  The top will go on Ebay in a couple of days with a starting bid of $100, unless I receive an offer of at least $200 from a board member before then. 

This is one of the 6 modded hollow points I had on stage when I won US nats in 2008 and one of the 5 I used on my winning fixed tip routine at Worlds 2009.  One of the original 6 HPs is now at the National Yo-Yo Museum in Chico (the one I anodized black).

Spintastics made about 250 aluminum Hollow Points around 2003 (need to check the date) in a couple of runs and they have been unavailable from stores since around 2006.  Of those a total of only 20 were anodized red, and this is one of them.  It is engraved inside with Dale's signature and marked #172. 

As you can see on the photographs (I'll take better ones for the auction, these were taken with my phone), it has many dings and scratches (some may be from the concrete stage at nats).

The cap came from a YYJ Bulldog.  This is a popular mod of the HP (that my son Diego claims as the inventor).  It makes the top much easier to wrap. I am guessing the Bulldog was probably manufactured until around 2005.

I turned the steel tip myself. I came up with the narrow neck, diabolo profile long before knowing about Salvador and his preference for the same profile. It also has the larger head, which I really like for most tricks.

I'll put new electrical tape on it (have several colors you can chose from  :P )

This is both a collector's and player's top.  And the sale is for a cause.  Look for the ebay link here in a couple of days (or send me a pm if you REALLY want it  ;) )  Just in case there is more than one member interested in buying it before the ebay auction, I'll check pm offers until 10 AM Wednesday.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:09:50 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Modded Hollow Point from my nats/worlds freestyles
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »

I have already received three offers for the top, so it will not get to ebay.
Thanks everybody!