iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paperclip Tops  (Read 9267 times)

Raymond

• Paperclip tops are my specialty
Re: Paper Clip Tops
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »

WOW! Those are small!

Kind of like spinning dust! ;D

That's funny!! : )

xINFINITELIGHTx

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »

Hey everybody it is I, INFINITE LIGHT! And I think this video is way awesome cool!

Raymond

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »

[Raymond: I hope you don't mind that I changed the subject of your post from Thanks! to Paper Clip Tops, so people will find it easier]

I would be very interested if you posted videos or instructions showing how you bend and make your different variations on the paper clip tops.  The only one I have made is the simple Sakai top.

Currently I have no videos instructions for making tops from wire stock. I would love to produce such videos but there are a number of reasons why that will take some time for me to accomplish. Please be patient with me.

Raymond

Re: THANKS...
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »

Welcome to the board.  Great place to spend a few days (over the years).
Your magnet above the top is a fantastic idea.  I couldn't help but think of Joe M and his monster top.  It could be adapted to this with a big enough magnet.  How about it Joe?  Just a thought. ???

I have visualized a Magnetically Assisted top large enough for people to walk up to and push it like a merry-go-round, with the safety of children in mind. It may not be a good idea to let people ride it as such because it would not slow down easily, depending on its mass. The design would be large enough to discount riding it as and option.

Raymond

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »

Welcome Raymond, those are some kinda small tops.  :o Thanks for posting both those and your magnetically assisted tops.  I imagine each 'top holder' takes some fain amount of trial and error to get the height adjusted to that sweet spot.  Are plans for that apparatus forthcoming also?

It is true that the height of the magnet over the top is important, too close it jumps off the table a sticks to the magnet, too far away and the top rides around and falls over. Just right and the spin lasts a long time. I have constructed a variety of magnet stands, a couple are illustrated in my booklet, "HOW TO MAKE PAPERCLIP TOPS."

Raymond

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »

Welcome, Raymond!  Yes, this is a pretty special place.  Sometimes I forget how special it is then I roam around other places on the Internet and am reminded very quickly how good we have it here.

Your small tops are pretty small.  I don't see anyone beating you.  Your finger tops look familiar and it seems like I tried something like that but on a much much more crude level.

I realize it has been a long time since you posted here, have to admit I've been pulled away for a while. I am interested in how my small tops compare with other small tops. HOPE you are right, though, it would be nice to be on top of the small top world.

Raymond

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »

Your wire tops are fantastic!
I have made some paper clip tops after reading about Prof. Sakai's analysis (which you mention) but you took it to another lever.

As far as I know those are in fact the smallest handmade tops.

Welcome Raymond!

Thanks again, and I hope so.

Raymond

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »

Yeah. This is a pretty awesome forum! 8)

Everybody here actually wants to help and be nice.

Thanks. I feel very welcomed by this community.