iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Binding and Mach-5 with fixed tip top: tutorial by Gus  (Read 5134 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Binding and Mach-5 with fixed tip top: tutorial by Gus
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »

Next month it will be one year since I visited Gus and Salvador in Mexico, so I better start posting videos of Gus  :-[ I was working on a long video, but there are some parts that are better as stand-alone tutorials.  Here Gus shows how he binds a fixed tip top and does Mach 5.  He speaks in Spanish but the trick can probably be understood from the video. 

He also tells the story of the trick. He says that when he first saw Steve Brown do it on an internet video he did not realize he was using a bearing top as he was not familiar with them (he mentions a McDonald restaurant but it was actually filmed at a pizza place: circa 2001, posted on topspinning.com).  After much trying he realized there had to be a "trick".  :D  Salvador the la Rosa showed him a bind that could be used on fixed tops (shown a the beginning) but he came up with one that seems to take less spin out of the top. He says he has done up to 5 or maybe 6 Mach 5 turns with it.  The trick he uses to get into it is also nice looking and worth learning.

Fixed-tip spintop bind and Mach-5 tutorial by Gus / Fijar trompo en la cuerda: tutorial de Gus

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Binding and Mach-5 with fixed tip top: tutorial by Gus
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »

I just skimmed over this quickly without the sound and I found it quite enjoyable.  Hopefully someday soon I will be able to look at it closer.  He really is quite amazing!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »

cool!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »

One of the first videos I ever posted (on the first Button-n-Strings, 2001?) was of a Mach-5 using a fixed tip top (Ripcord).  It was nothing as smooth as Gus (could barely get to 3 turns), so it is not a trick I continued doing.  I re-uploaded it for your viewing pleasure, in all the then state-of-the-art exquisite resolution for online videos (to be downloaded with dial-up-modems that were still common)  :P  :D  ::)  We have come a long way!

Fix-tip Mach-5

Benito

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:47:49 PM »

Back when you were a noob?  :P
~Ben

topper777

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »

gus can make anything work!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:46:34 PM »

Back when you were a noob?  :P
We have all been newbies at one time.  Also babies, although in Gus case it may have been the same thing  ;D

I did the fixed-tip Mach-5 using a two-string guide (see-saw mount).  I did not think it could be done with a true bind until I saw Gus.

gus can make anything work!
You are right on that!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »

Thank you for processing some of your video reservoir from your trip!  The shame has been lifted  ;D (reference link = video guilt thread)

He speaks in Spanish but the trick can probably be understood from the video. 

Perhaps you over estimate my ability to follow the action and speed with which he performs this trick (am I alone here? ::) ).  I've watched this more times than I care to admit  :-[ but finally from the view of the 'failed' attempt starting at 2:00, I spotted the key motion to creating the bind at 2:09.  Next time you are with demonstators please take your helmet cam along and don't let them take it off ;D.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:58:40 AM »

You are right, I should have included a slow motion.  I was counting you will clearly see it at 2:09, but I guess without understanding Gus verbal cue (" . . . and the trick was going above the top . . .") it was more difficult to catch.

The first way of getting on the bind (that he attributes to Salvador de la Rosa) is similar to the way I set up for the Flip-Flop gyro (but using a bearing top). 

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:07:10 AM »

I figured out a fixed-tip bind at the same time that I came up with my trick "Chicken Out", but since it was maybe a month or two before the first bearing tip top came out, I think I only ever showed it to a couple of people. I might have showed it to Neff a while back too. I'll see if I can work on it so I can show you all too. I found that it was very tip sensitive though. It could not be done on all tops. I worked it out on the good old Monarch.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »

Quick study or independent creation?

130314_222803.3gp

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »

Quick study or independent creation?

Great minds think alike!
Among the last batch of videos he posted there was also an elevator (!). But they were posted 3 weeks ago, before my Gus videos
I bet he has seen some of our videos and has been inspired by them, as we have been by him.