iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I need information about suns - around the worlds that regenerate  (Read 7940 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

I have been dabbling with this trick and studying videos but I don't think I am doing it right.  As the thrower is looking at the top......does it go in a clockwise direction?  Does the tip lead or does the tip follow the top when you start the circular motion?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
Re: I need information about suns - around the worlds that regenerate
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:58:24 PM »

The top does travel in a clockwise direction. The tip is pointing away as you begin the orbit around your hands. Watch Jorge's 2009 Worlds video. He does several in his routine.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:16:17 PM »

Thanks for that feedback, Spinningray.  This is what I have been trying but it doesn't seem to look like Jorge's or Daveid's and sometimes it will go flying at the top of the circle.  I will have to work on it some more and keep trying to tweek it.  It's not a trick that works so well in the basement.  I have plenty of room down there and the portable floor has possibilities but sometimes my loop is too big and I hits some pipes......and sometimes the rope gets caught in the pipes during the boomerang......and sometimes the top comes down on the tip and goes straight through the rug and exercise mats (damaging the metal tip).  Maybe I can get some cardboard to put under the mats?  The best news is that since I pick up the floor every time after I use it, the dog can't drip you know what on the mats. 

It's also frustrating now that the weather is getting cooler and I am getting wimpier about going out in it. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 05:25:32 PM by Mike Hout »

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:18:33 PM »

i've tried and failed these on several occasions. i've decided to wait until i'm a bit better at the basics before i dedicate too much time to them. i recall Jorge showing me this trick at worlds. it blew my mind.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »

I cannot do the Mexican version in which the top does the consecutive circles without stopping at the bottom. I think the version I came up with is less pretty, but is the one I know so that will be the one I am explaining.

If you are right handed you swing the top in a circle in a clockwise direction (as seen by you.) I start with the tip looking away from me.  I generally land it on a trapeze and let it precess one turn so I start with one wrap around the tip. I lower my right hand and when the tip is looking away from me I pull fast with that hand getting the top to swing around: that pull is where it regenerates. I then follow the top with my two hands so the string remains tight. But I don't pull on the top while it is going around. That way the top does not precess when it is doing the upper part and the tip remains looking forward. When it gets back at the bottom the twist in the string has disappeared so I let it precess again one turn. Repeat as much as you want.

In my version the top almost does a free fall parabola. It is very different to an around-the-world as it does not do a circle centered on the hands but halfway between the hands and the top.   I think this may be the main difference with Mexican bastones where I believe the top precesses all the way through the circle.

It is a great looking trick. Regenerating suns is probably a good description. In Mexico they are called bastones which translates either as batons or canes.  According to Salvador they were invented by Gustavo who gave them that name. Pulp named them polar satellites when he first filmed the team Cometa doing them (I like this name).

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:41:04 PM »

Thanks, Jorge.  I will try to digest this and put it into action.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 05:52:59 PM »

Regenerating suns is probably a good description. In Mexico they are called bastones which translates either as batons or canes.  According to Salvador they were invented by Gustavo who gave them that name. Pulp named them polar satellites when he first filmed the team Cometa doing them (I like this name).

Bien. Los bastones. El nombre original de este truco de regeneraciòn (bastante hermoso, sin duda alguna) que le diò quien lo inventò y lo perfeccionò, Gustavo Castro, fue Rueda de la Fortuna. (Wheel of Fortune).
Pero existe un truco bàsico, que se llama "bastòn" (este se hace a una mano) y el bastòn "a dos manos" . Èste ùltimo truco, es casi, casi exactamente igual al truco de regeneraciòn de "Rueda de la fortuna" y los otros campeones, al ver, al conocer y aprender este truco, lo comenzaron a llamar los bastones.
Màs que a los "suns" (soles) creo que se parece màs a la "aceleraciòn china".
Ùltimamente, Gustavo y yo, hemos trabajado en meterle variaciones a los bastones, (hacer trucos dentro del mismo truco) y ya llevamos varias.
Aunque ya Gustavo asumiò que todo el mundo les llama bastones, èl siempre remarca que su nombre es "Rueda de la fortuna".

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:45:24 PM by ta0 »

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »

I prefer the "rueda de la fortuna name".

I understand the name of "bastones" when the trick is performed with one hand, because it is similar to the image of Charlot moving its stick.

Do "bastones" be realized with a tunned tip, or require a big groove?
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »

I guess the one handed (non regenerating) trick bastones is what we call around-the-world. Yes, I would also prefer Gustavo's name Rueda de la Fortuna (Wheel of Fortune) for the two-handed regenerating version.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 04:34:33 PM »

Ùltimamente, Gustavo y yo, hemos trabajado en meterle variaciones a los bastones, (hacer trucos dentro del mismo truco) y ya llevamos varias.

I forgot to say that is possible to regenerate doing one bastòn with both hands, and the next one only with one hand, leaving free the hand, so, you do one bastòn normal, and then, you do one leaving the right hand free, and the next one, with both hands, and the next one with one hand, leaving free the left hand.
The cuerda relámpagos, it seems like a bastòn, in certain way.

Nextly, I will comment more about this trick and its variations.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 11:57:26 PM »

Alternating between 2-handed and 1-handed bastones should look very nice. But I imagine only the 2-handed part regens. I hope to see a video soon  ;D

Talking about vids, I have been doing what may be Telarañas Eléctricas (Electric Spiderwebs). Not many but I think I am regenerating. But without your video just from memory I am guessing that is what they are.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 12:38:27 AM »

Mike - I cut this video for ya which contains continuous suns filmed from aerial view.  I've filmed the collaborative video part 3 tricks this way too (except mach 5 / gyro flop - can't get myself to pick up a bearing top lately).  I saved this clip down to a lower res for quick upload / viewing (no sound either).

I just learned to do suns continuous, so it's kinda rough.  I usually go into suns after a snap start and 5 drumbeats because it seems to be just the right speed for the trick.  Even from a soft trapeze throw it seems hard to execute the trick at that speed.

Edit:  replaced photobucket video with youtube video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJHoWf07k0[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:56:59 PM by yophosis »

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 01:36:32 AM »

FINALLY! A camera angle that I can understand ;)

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 09:42:35 AM »

Chris please, put a photo of the eyehawk camera in its flying position.

I'll copy your idea faaaast!  ;D ;D ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 09:49:07 AM »

Wow!!!  Great video.  I appreciate your work and effort to illustrate this trick.  What is weird to me is the fact that the tip of your top stays pointed away from you.  My top is constantly precessing and I can't begin to even think about continuous suns like that.  The string would get all twisted.  Maybe my top is not going fast enough?