iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plastic contraction or bad manufacture?  (Read 1989 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Plastic contraction or bad manufacture?
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »

I recently got a somewhat rare Wizzer Hockey Game from 1970.  It was complete, mint in the box, so I was excited to play with it.  The wizzzer tops are fitted with shells of hockey players with sticks.  They are spun on the provided rink with a ball (puck) that they can randomly hit into one of the goals (while you play as goalkeeper using hockey stick).  Well, I was disappointed when the goals would not fit into the the indentations on the rink, by a LOT!

The width of the injection molded goals is like 5 mm greater that the pit!  On the other hand the depth is several mm smaller.
I am guessing the rink was vacuum formed.  Could it be that its width contracted that much during all these years (while perhaps its length elongated)?  Perhaps it was stored at a place that got hot?  The rink looks fine otherwise, not deformed, so it is difficult to believe.  On the other hand, the manufacturing molds could not have been that off. 

Does anybody (Don?) have one he/she can check?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 01:11:48 PM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
Re: Plastic contraction or bad manufacture?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »

Just looks like you are installing it upside down.  It appear that there are holes in the rink into which the ends of the goal uprights should install.  The recess in the rink might just trap the puck after a goal is scored.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Plastic contraction or bad manufacture?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »

Wow!  Thanks . . .  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I am not sure if I am more embarrassed about the mistake or happy that there is nothing wrong!

I am glad I put up a good picture.  I had not even noticed the pegs on the goals.  You have such a sharp eye for detail, John!

I guess when one is convinced that something is a certain way one can be blind . . .
I don't watch ice hockey, though  ::)