iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: beigoma manufacturing video  (Read 5001 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
beigoma manufacturing video
« on: December 18, 2012, 06:11:52 PM »

This video shows a little of the foundry work involved with making the Japanese cast iron beigoma tops.  It seems a little like the "How's it made" series but presented with cartoon hosts for kids (I guess we qualify).  Too bad it is only in Japanese--I tried the new Youtube closed captioning translator (Beta version) but it needs a lot of work to make much sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjvD5GE7iMQ

Linked in the related videos was the following video which has a description in English mentioning
Nissan Foundry Inc. is a small foundry located in Kawaguchi City, my hometown, which was once known as the center of the casting industry. Now they are the only beigoma manufacturer in Japan. They run a booth to promote their products every year at Tatara Festival, the largest annual festival in the city, and show the traditional toys to people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ez9QR7Lq3o

Sparks are one thing that is missing from our wooden top style of battle tops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGuW8-mCGpY

This one demonstrates an interesting string wrapping technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dafx3-CfSX4
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:18:47 PM by ta0 »

trompillo

• Superhero member
Re: beigoma manufacturing video
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

I like much¡¡ thank you very much¡

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »

Very interesting and an even more interesting way to wind the string.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »

Wow!  Once around wasn't enough.

When the wrapping was done it looked like "top in bondage".
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »

Great videos!  Thanks John!

I love watching the old style factory, with the vertical melter and the traditional casting.  Not the image one has of a modern Japanese automated factory!

I have always wondered how the kids had patience wrapping the beigomas.  It takes me forever to wrap mine with the three knot method (that you can see one kid using on the second video).  I am not surprised the Beyblades went for ripcords.  But I think they should had kept an octagonal or similar angular shape for all their tops, it makes a much more interesting fight than a more rounded shape.

I had never seen the wrap used on the last video, it is very original. It is surprising that it works so well. But it may be the solution to my beigoma blues! I need to try it.

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »

Great video - memories of Mr. Rogers!

The Toycrafter used tumbling as a integral part of our toy and top making for pretty much our whole time in business.  (I learned about it from some friends I met at local craft fairs who tumbled their wooden hash pipes - both as a "sanding" technique, and as a finishing technique.  Paints, oils, etc. can be added to the mix to create surprisingly good finishes. We only used it for sanding, but the folks who supplied our turnings - flipover balls, easter eggs, etc. - used it for both sanding and finishing.  Google "panning" in the candy industry for info on this technique for building up jelly bean layers for example)  Tumbling sequence starts at about 4:28 in the video.  They are using it to deburr the cast iron parts, and polish them a bit.  We later switched to vibratory sanding when I found a quite large vibratory machine.  A very simple system - a container of some sort is mounted on springs, and then a motor is attached to the container.  A quite unbalanced piece is attached to the shaft of the motor, and when running the container moves around quite nicely!

Vibratory techniques are used in a very similar fashion - a smoother less aggressive process that cause less damage from parts falling onto each other in the tumbler.  Filling the tumbler barrel very full also reduces damage.  Tiny tumblers are available for stone/gem tumbling, and the Sport hunting/shooting industry supplies small vibratory machines that are used to polish casings, etc... we currently use a small unit for cleaning and sanding some of our smaller parts at Louise's Daughter.  See picture.... if you make a lot of smaller parts this is very helpful... I also clean up the laser burned edges, etc.  by vibrating with water with a small amount of clorox added.  Tumble an hour or so in that mix, drain the water, and run again with a small fan running to dry and sand.
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

topper777

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »

amazing little spinners. the wrap and slow mo throw were nicely done!