Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Azteca  (Read 3724 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Azteca
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:46 AM »

Cometa has a top Called Azteca. I look like it has a calendar on the crown. Hurry get one before it expires. :-)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Azteca
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:43:45 AM »

Good one!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »

Ha, ha, it is a good one.

Not to be picky, but this is a good excuse for more trompo talk.  The Aztec calendar is related to the Mayan calendar, which is the one supposedly expiring.  The Cometa Azteca is a copy of the 5 Estrellas Azteca, which also at one time had a Maya top:

The Azteca has in fact their calendar:

while the Maya had a god (I think it is a feathered serpent related to the Aztec Quetzalcoaltl):

By the way, I researched Wikipedia for this, and found this interesting fact about the end of the Mayan calendar:

"Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a popular belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. It is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun, at Long Count 13.0.0.0.0. The date on which the calendar will go to the next piktun (a complete series of 20 b'ak'tuns), at Long Count 1.0.0.0.0.0, will be on October 13, 4772.  Sandra Noble, executive director of the Mesoamerican research organization Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. (FAMSI), notes that for the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle".

Javier

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:42:57 AM »

Realmente es que cometa copia a cinco estrellas en todo,¡que copiones!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »

Realmente es que cometa copia a cinco estrellas en todo,¡que copiones!

Actually, many Cometa designs have been copied by the the other trompo manufacturers.  The Cobra, designed by Antonio Cortes himself, has been imitated by everybody.  There is a lot of imitation between the Mexican manufacturers.
I was told the story of the Azteca a few years ago.  But I remember that talking to Antonio he corrected me on some things I believed.  I don't remember if the Azteca was one of those.  I think he said that he was the first to silver the tops inside, what was a great innovation.

Javier

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »

Recuerdo cuando estuviste aqui en Mollina me dejaste unos cuantos de Mayas y Un azteca,por cierto ¿cuanto tiempo tienen?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »

Recuerdo cuando estuviste aqui en Mollina me dejaste unos cuantos de Mayas y Un azteca,por cierto ¿cuanto tiempo tienen?
The ones I gave you came from Salvador.  I am guessing they are from around 2005.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »

The solstice was 6 hours ago (5:11 AM central).  Happy solstice to the pagan spinners  :P and everybody else! 
(but for hermityo and others in the southern hemisphere it may be a little happier, as for them it is the longest day of the year).

And happy day 13.0.0.0.0 for those following the Maya calendar.  Unfortunately, my Mexican tops with most of my other tops are still stored in the attic, so I don't know if I will find my Maya top to throw today.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:30:40 PM by ta0 »