iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Worlds 2012 planning  (Read 28329 times)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
Re: Worlds 2012 planning
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2012, 01:25:17 PM »

Woo hoo! Thanks Mike!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »

Great Mark!!! I also have you covered.

Greg made medals with winged top shape, like last year.

yollector

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »

sorry to hear about Erics Mom.
The Trophys Are Awesome !
I hope we can see Photos of the tops and yoyos
for the mod contest as there were none last year.
    Richy from Chico

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »

I'm coming, and I'm competing! Does anyone have a Cincinnati Crew top that I could borrow for the contest? (One of the fixed tip ones that John Marcus makes out of recycled plastic bottles.Do they have a name? Re-Gen?) I have one, but it would be better if I had another one as a backup.

Mark, its cool that you are considering using the HDPE tops for your performance; if you have a chance, play the ones you might borrow before the contest because these tops don't have the consistency from top to top that we expect from Duncan, Spintastics, etc.  Not only can the overall weight be different but the tip to cap distribution can vary thus changing the precession somewhat.  Even more significant is the variation in the profile of the tips and diameter of the necks.  I just hack them out by eye (and I have very, very think lenses in my glasses ::)) so there can be major performance changes for wire walking tricks and regenerations.  Also check that the nut or screw (depending on the version) holding the tip in place is secure since your lefty play will tend to loosen the tip.

It will be interesting to see the numbers for types of tops used, i.e. fixed vs. bearing vs. one-way bearing. 

Great job on the trophies ta0!  Thank you for sacrificing your participation in the mod contest to help make the stage contest rewarding for the competitors.

Have fun everyone.

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »

Wow, those trophies are stunning!  Nice job Tao!

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2012, 01:56:22 AM »

Hey John,
Thanks for the pointers on using your tops. I had noticed that the one I'm going to borrow from Jorge plays a little differently, so I practiced with it a bunch. If they don't have a name yet I think you should call the "Re-Gen" for the recycling and the top trick all in one. Just my 2 cents.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2012, 03:17:42 AM »

I really want to see a single top, snap started and played for the duration of the routine be the winner. Like Cuper's video.

In all likelihood I think a three top combo--fixed and two OWB's will make for the perfect performance--string walk tricks are still exciting to watch and now that the OWB allows bearing regens, there is really no need to play straight bearing anymore. Unless you are stubborn and only interested in doing a couple of tricks per throw, I guess. I am sure Topper388.5 will disagree.

By the way, are there deductions for drops? Is there a scoring rubric available?

I am very depressed that I am not able to attend this year, but with luck, by this time next year I will have a professorship and the extra cash to follow my folly. My dream is to compete with my Cuper, SodaTop, and SodaPunk.

Neff have you ever thought about sponsoring players? I can't get enough of your tops.

Maurizio, you make a pretty fine top yourself. The OWB has changed the way I play. I am sure the STB 2.0 will elevate my game even higher once I have saved enough dollars in my STB 2.0 jar.

Dale, your HP and QSH are magnificent fixed tips and a joy to play. Anyone want to sell me an HP or an extra Cuper?

Not to mention the Cometa Cobra. I enjoy the challenge of completing really hard tricks with it. I have so much respect for Gus and Salvador being able to do what they do with such light tops.

Good luck to all of the competitors. I can't wait to see the videos.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up