iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Chinese Whip Tops - Order 2  (Read 16701 times)

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Chinese Whip Tops - Order 2
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »

The latest order of Chinese Whip Tops arrived today! 
Once again with the help of my colleague Yannan and her mom in China, I made a second successful purchase of Chinese Whip Tops. 

This time I went to a different Merchant.
For this particular Merchant it was the first time they ever shipped to the US, they were delighted.

The IM's and emails were numerous and it took about 3 months of correspondence to finally place the order.  After the order was placed the shipping was extremely fast, it took only 5 calendar days (including a weekend) to get the top into my hands!

The top is smaller in size and weight than the previous models I brought in.
These tops are all steel:
Diameter = 76mm/2.99 inches
Height = 165mm/6.5 inches
Height = 145mm/5.7 inches
Weight is listed as 3kg BUT, I believe it is more like 1.5kg/3.31 lbs.

The total cost, including shipping to New York, was $117.50 for:
1 Top,
1/4 lb of replacement whips (25 whips),
5 alloy replacement tips, and
the Whip Stick (free due to a limited time offer on the site).

Here are a couple of photos:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:02:08 AM by Larry D. »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Chinese Whip Tops - Order 2
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »

Good work getting that.  It looks like another lethal weapon........a big bullet, a torpedo or a rocket head!!!

I bet that will put out some serious sound.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »

Nice Larry!  But sneaky!  I would have joined you as I have a request from Salvador to get one for him. If there is a third order count me in.

I like he replacement tips feature.
Was it worth to get the whip stick, considering the increased shipping cost? I would have probably skip it.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »

Sneaky? ta0, ta0, ta0...sneaky you say?

Nothing sneaky about it.  I am just highly reluctant to expose other people to risk.  If I got ripped off in this transaction, I am the only one hurt.   
This was another long and risky purchase, new merchant, never shipped to the US before, unknown quality of merchandise, etc.

I'll tell you - this top is one serious piece of hardware!
As for the stick - It came with these tops for free as a special promotion.
It really feels good in the hand. This stick is far denser than the ones we got previously.  It has a different setup;
the whip comes out of center of the head, not out the side. Considering the weight of the 2 tops, over 6 pounds, the whips, about a pound, and replacement tips I really don’t think that there would be much of a savings on the overseas shipping cost.
Sure you can make a whip stick out of broom handle if you wish but, the stick matches the top and, authenticity matters to me,
so yes it was worth it.

I do recall that Salvador and other members of the forum had expressed interest in getting these tops a while back.
I haven’t seen much interest expressed lately.
Anyway, I spoke with Yannan this morning and she is agreeable to placing another order.  ;D

So I will plan on placing an order soon including one for you and one for Salvador.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »

Thanks Larry for all the work!
Having a "portable" whip top will be great.
My concern about the whip sticks is the volume of the package as it can sometimes affect the shipping cost more than the weight.

bAd

• Gold Member
  • You spin my head right round, right round...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »

Very nice!
It's too bad I live in Italy, I would have really loved to get one as well.... :(

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »

Well, in that time, it seemed that a bunch of people of this forum would be interested..well, probably, when I say a bunch, I am exagerating..I guess that it s much better to say several of us...it doesnt matter any way...
ta0 told me that, given that almost nodoby showed real inetrest on them, the posible acquiring of those whip tops was suspended.

I am really interested in one of those, mainly, beacause, with they, the first and more ancient way of a regeneration of a fixed tip spinning tops was known by the human being.
So, as a spin top player, I consider is completely necessary to me to possess one of those marvelous devices.
Larry, I will thank you a lot this action.
Through ta0 will see the details of payment and shipping and all stuff.
Tlazo kamati!
HUITZINAKANTLI

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »

HUITZINAKANTLI,
Es para mí un gran honor para ayudar a lograr esto para usted y TA0.
(It is my great honor to help achieve this for you and ta0.)

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »

I am very interested in being a part of this transaction. Making Ta0's top sing at Texas Jugglefest was the most exciting thing to happen to me all year. Count me in.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »

I am very interested in being a part of this transaction. Count me in.
Okay, that makes 3.

I mentioned the stick for this top is a bit different and denser (more substantial).
Here are a couple of photos which I hope will show what I meant by that.

First photo:  The whip-end of the sticks
   Left stick = Comes with this top, showing entry of the whip and center top exit.
   Right stick = The stick which came with the previous top.

Second photo: 
  upper one = The stick that comes with this top.
  lower one =  The stick which came with the previous top.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »

Very nice!
It's too bad I live in Italy, I would have really loved to get one as well.... :(

bAd,

Read the PM I sent to you.  :)

jochs12

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 02:47:16 AM »

That is one serious looking top.  When you pull that baby out people know you are serious about your tops.  How are these tops in action? 
Enjoy taking my tops for a spin

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »

The new order of whip tops from China arrived!

The tops are very, very, nice. They weigh in at just under 1.5 kg, what makes them pretty hefty even though we have been calling them traveling whip tops in comparison with those of the first order.

Something curious is that one of them has 10 whistling holes on the side and the other two have just 9. The holes are not regularly spaced, like if they were drilled freehand. This is somewhat inconsistent with the quality finish of the rest of the top. I wonder if this provides some modulation to the pitch of the noise.  I guess we need to compare them.

I already spun one of the 9-hole tops.  It was much easier to spin than the oversize one from the first order.  I got it to whistle but not as loud.  But I am confident that with Justin we will be able to get them screaming.  The tips are not very sharp and the top is easy to scoop to the hand, something I would not attempt without a glove with the giant one:

By the way, the holes are drilled at an angle, as suggested by Lincolnrick on the other thread.  We need to spin them both ways to see if this makes a difference.

I guess Justin and I will start a top whipping club in San Antonio. But, as I told Larry, we will need another name for the club or we will attract some weird types . . .

Thanks a lot Larry for all the effort!  And super-thanks to Yannan for helping us make this happen.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:39 PM »

It makes me feel so happy bringing this joy to you guys.  ;D 

May you Jorge, Justin and HUITZINAKANTLI, use them in good health for countless decades yet to come.

Here is an instructional video:

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/e847bu/devo-whip-it
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:10:42 PM by Larry D. »

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »

YES!!! This is beyond exciting.
 ;D