iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Texas Jugglefest  (Read 7756 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Texas Jugglefest
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »

Here we are at Jugglefest. We had a great topspinning session this morning,  Mark, SirBoott  and myself. I got to meet Ken, one of our newer  members. But the mosr memorabe thing was spinning the big whip top from.China: it worked  incredible well. Forget what I said about not making noise, .it was so loud that we had to cover our ears!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Texas Jugglefest
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:48:38 PM »

Glad to hear Jugglefest is off and running.  Also happy to hear Mark made it there safely.  It is nice to read about the top spinning session.  Can't wait to hear more!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »

I am back for the night in San Antonio, tomorrow morning I head back to Austin.
Mark was the master of ceremonies, did some yo-yo tricks, the "wedding" routing and of course some tops.  He was nice enough to mention that in the audience was a nats and world spintop champ . . .  ;D Thanks Mark! By the way, he used the BKs heavy modded for him by Eric with S8 tips, weight ring, diet, etc., which are amazing.
I have video of the whipping of the Chinese top.  We got it going faster than I had with the drill!
Justin on his way back from the rugby match in Dallas will be back in Austin, so tomorrow we will all be throwing tops again.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:03:41 AM »

Our new friend Ken is training to be a machinist. He has access to a cnc machine. Now, where is that cad file?  >:D >:D >:D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »

Unfortunately, jugglefest is over.  I did very little traditional juggling, but it was a great spintop fest for me.

Today Mark gave a spintop workshop with the SirBoot32 and myself as assistants. There were about 8 "students." But we had at least that many coming to our spintop corner and having us teach them how to throw.

For the Big Toss event (where everybody throws something in the air at the same time) Justin used a Quick Silver top, I believe. I threw a one-sided diabolo.

The gym is by the college track, so there were some joggling competitions. The best part is that Mark and myself tried a roller coaster dash on the track. I won't tell you the result, but we have video.  I can see Mike reserving a plane ticket for next year  :D

A very good cane juggler, Drew, is preparing a video with clips of some of the best jugglers in the world doing a trick (3 years in the making). The only condition is that a cane is included. Well, both Mark and I improvised something for him.  He said he already had more than 100 jugglers, including at least another top player: Jochen!

We finished exhausted but with a bang, whipping the Chinese top with all we had left. It took us many tries to get it to high speed but it was finally blasting. I developed a blister on the left hand from holding the whip. But I tell you, best way to release any anger you may have  :P

I met two guys from the border city of Laredo. One of them is the president of an association that has organized several international events on the Rio Grande. It seems that by a treaty between Mexico and the States, the river is free for everybody to use. So you can have a stage in the middle of the river, either on an island or a barge, and no visa is required.  The river is narrow enough that the public can be on either side of the river.  Well, he had this idea of organizing a spintop contest: the Mexico-US challenge!  It seems that Laredo is interested in improving its image and there could be some funds available (they are now planing a canoe competition with a $5K first price).  I think it would be very cool to compete on the middle of the Rio Grande!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:20:07 AM by ta0 »

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:49:11 AM »

It sure was a great time. I even invented my own snap start club. Though they gave valiant efforts, neither Ta0 nor Mark made the cut. So, as of this posting, Team Autoradical only has one member. If you would like to join, the rules are as follows:

1. Snap start to your hand. Let it ride for five seconds.
2. Ten RC's to string.
3. Back to hand for five seconds.
4. There are no equipment restrictions--e.g. you can use just the bottom half of a top if you'd like. Autoradical!

I am also taking entries for the official team patch, which I will have made. It will be Autoradical!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »

Though they gave valiant efforts, neither Ta0 nor Mark made the cut.
:) As it is Auto-Radical I did not accept your cap-less top . . .  something like Auto-Auto-Radical  ;)

Vittore is really enthusiastic about making aluminum tops.  Great things possible . . .

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »

good report folks, it seems like a great great time!

and the Laredo Project: !! spinning on the Rio Grande!!
what a challenge !

Mark : keep us informed of your whereabouts in NYC!! :P

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

MechTop

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »

hi everyone
jorge- it was great to meet you at jugglefest. your whip top was one of the coolest things i have ever seen. if i can get to san antonio i would love to meet up again.

mark- thank you again for your instruction. im still wrapping my top backwards but its working for me so far. also you were great as mc. i hope you can come again next year.

justin- thank you for the string and button. it made all the difference. i was able to throw a boomerang this morning. it may be a while but as soon as i can i will get a top cut for you.
[img ]http://ta0.com/images/ITSA-patch_70px.gif[/img]

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »

hello MechTop
so you must be Ken !

bravo for your progress
 :D :D

jim

MechTop

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »

yes that was a bit of a failed introduction for myself wasnt it.

my name is kenneth. i chose mechtop because i am a student (and hopefully soon a professional) mechanical designer and machinist.

i got my first spintop about a week ago and with the help of the forum i would like to start making some tops soon too.

Martin G

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »

I only managed to make the public show but had a great time!  Brought my 8 year old nephew.  He's just getting into tops and juggling.  He really enjoyed the show.  Told his mom and sister ALL about it when we got back.  We'll definitely be back next year.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »

We are very glad you joined our community, mechtop! Not just because you are studying to be a mechanical designer and machinist (although that is great!) but because it is easy to tell that you are a great guy!

Martin: I am sorry we did not meet but I am happy you enjoyed the show. I am sure we will meet soon.

Something I forgot to mention is that we did some roller coaster passing between SirBoot32 and me. But it was impossible to include Mark. He is lefty and we thought we could get around that by using my two-sided top and doing drumbeat.  The problem is that Mark learned drumbeat by pumping with the right hand while the top spins clockwise! So, if he caught the correct tip for regenerating it would precess in the opposite direction he is accustomed to. Mark is one of a kind!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »

Sounds like everyone had a blast.  Maybee Austin will become another nexus of topspinning?

Too bad there is nothing else cool to do there...JK, I've wanted to visit Austin for a while now ;) 
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »

I agree with poptop.  Glad to hear about all your top experiences there!