iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: When can you "do a trick?"  (Read 3164 times)

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
When can you "do a trick?"
« on: December 24, 2011, 02:36:07 AM »

First of all, Merry Christmas and happy holidays and all of that.

Second, at what point do you consider yourself to have mastered a trick? I was looking at the sport ladder today and I have completed all but four tricks at least a couple of times. However, I would not describe myself as being able to do 36/40 tricks. I don't know that anyone can ever master the spinner to bottle cap. But, I also don't know what it is to master something. I am really interested in what all of you think.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: When can you "do a trick?"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »

The more you practice, the higher the success percentage.  Throw to bottle cap is a good example one of those tricks where the amount of practice required for a high success percentage is a bit unreasonable for most of us.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »

There is a big difference between "can do the trick" and "mastered the trick."  Although I can do all the tricks in the ladder, I have not mastered several of them. I would use the word master if you do it successfully at least 9 out of 10 times, preferably 19 out of 20 times. By the way, if you cannot do it 7 out of 10 times, you will very likely miss it in a freestyle.

kevinm

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:33:21 PM »

Throw to bottle cap is a good example one of those tricks where the amount of practice required for a high success percentage is a bit unreasonable for most of us.
the more i practice that the worse i get. after about five bottle caps, i'm lucky to even hit the floor (with the top).

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »

That might be a pretty good statistic..........

"If you cannot do it 7 out of 10 times, you will very likely miss it in a freestyle."

Boy, can I vouch for that.  Oddly enough, I can do some tricks 10 out of 10 times and still find a way to miss them in a freestyle.  Shall I reveal even weirder statistics?  The one trick I missed at worlds was one I am convinced I can do 100 out of 100 times in practice!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »

the more i practice that the worse i get. after about five bottle caps, I'm lucky to even hit the floor

Hey Kev, you don't have to empty each bottle first.  ;D 

Chug-a-lug.
Erratic Wobbler

kevinm

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »

fastest drinking game ever.
miss the throw, drink a beer...
makes for a short evening to be sure.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 06:28:10 PM »

I'm not trying to define mastery of a spintop skill but I get a satisfying sense of my own skill for a particular trick when I can perform the trick consistently (9 out 10 or 90% was a low A grade when I was in school) with most tops--large or small, heavy or light.  My sense of progress changes from dominating a particular spintop for a trick to dominating a trick for most any spintop.
This opinion probably originates from some advice from Salvador (posted here ) to practice with many different tops to improve ones game.

A personal goal/benchmark for regenerations is 100 reps and then an ability to transition into and out of the trick from or to many different tricks.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »

fastest drinking game ever.
miss the throw, drink a beer...
makes for a short evening to be sure.
you need to live closer to me.