iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sundia monobolo  (Read 12356 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Sundia monobolo
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:16:16 AM »

At worlds the guy that came second in the diabolo exhibition had a monobolo (e.g., one-sided diabolo or half-diabolo). Unfortunately, he didn't do much with it, except getting to spin on his hand like a top at the beginning of the routine. But when I asked him to see it I was surprised when he explained in broken English that it had three bearings. The brand is Sundia from Taiwan and I just got one I ordered through www.diabologalaxy.com.

The monobolo has a one-way bearing on the axle, plus both the white bulb (made of a rubber similar to an eraser) and the tip spin independently on standard bearings. I am not sure what is the idea behind the 3 bearings. I think you could do even more tricks with just the one-way bearing and the bulb and tip fixed to the outside of the axle. The only reason I can think is that the standard bearings can have less friction than a one-way bearing.

Anyway, this monobolo opens lots of possibles of play. The most efficient way of starting it is ripcord-like holding the bulb. At any time during play you can grab that bulb and do something with the monobolo while it is still spinning. But for me the most interesting thing  is that it has a spintop like tip, including a groove. For a long time I have wanted to mod one of my monobolos to put a spintop tip on it.

By luck, the Sundia monobolo came with the one-way bearing set for what I would say is a left-handed player. That is, if you are right-handed you need to land the monobolo with the cup pointing towards you. I was going to disassemble it when I realized that is what is needed to play like a standard top! So I have kept it that way. I have done 10 roller-coasters to string using the small bearing tip. I have also done corkscrew to gyro flop!

Eventually I want to machine a new bigger tip for it. But this toy really bridges the gap between diabolo and spintop and promises to be a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:03:17 PM by ta0 »

Jeromy K.

Re: Sundia monobolo
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »

I was just looking at one of those on ebay i like the Idea.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 06:52:43 PM »

Dear Jorge,  Glad you got your monobolo.  You pointed out that young diaboloist with his top/diabolo right before they headed out to stage.  We were getting ready, ourselves, for the top competition so we couldn't chat with him very much about that unique spinner.  But I did get to communicate with him through nods.  I watched what he was doing.  He watched what I was doing.  He pointed at his monobolo and then at my tops and nodded with a smile.  I nodded back and said "Yes, we are one!"

I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jeffs

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 10:11:50 PM »

Lovely thing. How big is it and about how much does it weigh?
Jeff Smith, Kalamazoo, MI

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 11:59:17 PM »

It measures about 5" wide (12.5 cm) and 5" tall. It weighs 220 grams.

The same guys are selling it on Ebay but with shipping it was slightly cheaper directly from the diabolo galaxy shop (worldwide shipping is included on the price).

Sundia also has a 2-bearing monobolo, for just a little less money. But I am not sure which bearing is missing and if the bulb and tip are independent.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:06:55 AM »

Seems like the third bearing would have to be there to hold the bulb/counterweight, right???

Either way, pretty cool stuff--an another interesting hybrid.

Found this, not too thrilling, but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRO52MgnI7w
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:22:33 AM by poptop »
Erratic Wobbler

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:42:11 PM »

Wow! Some time ago, I remember that in one link of the web ta0.com, is a video of one chinese (oriental, at least) man playing with one of those, making a strong sound. I`got one of those, but I had not time to learn to spin it. There is a video called "Movimiento Circular" from Argentina, in which is showed how you must start. And, besides the video that poptop linked here, there is another much better. I guess the guy must be from Sweden or Norway, or Danemark, or some of those countries (by the name).
He shows good tricks. I ignore if is the same , tho one or three ball bearings or another one. Search in youtube for it:

Samuli Männistö - Monobolo - single sided diabolo

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 02:33:01 PM »

The first video ARÀCNOCTAMBULO mentioned might be one of the three videos that appear at this link:

http://ufoyoyo.com/featured_videos.html

And the second video he mentioned might be this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIdn531_BkQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »

Chris,

Those look like they play just like regular diabolos, the small side is just weighted.

This is kind of what I was expecting

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SAnJ6UleBA[/youtube]

Rob

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »

The monobolo from Germany used by the Finish guy is heavily weighted as Rob says, so it does not precess as traditional one-sided diabolos do.  They sell them here.

On the other hand, the Sundia monobolo as well as the Chinese diabolo do precess. 

Wow! Did you see the first movie on the ufoyoyo.com site? I love how the guy gets the monobolo to spin like a top on a little base at the end of the stick. I still need to check the other videos, but I have to leave the computer.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 06:35:12 PM »

Some day and some year I would like to work up a routine with the sundia monobolo and see how the judges score it.

RunBMC

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 06:57:01 AM »

so its not a top. at first when i didnt read your decribtion i thought it was top.
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:26:45 PM »

The video I mentioned is this next:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zpp167K39w

IN the period of time 1:11 to 1:25 the man shows how to start to spin one of those one sided diabolos (fixed tip. IN fact the "tip" is the most part of the toy.) I immagine, I suppouse, that monobolo is different, by bring ball bearings.

I remember this another video mentioned by ta0 in his website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAZHOd3ku1I

I guees that only by seeing these videos, oneself can satrt to play those awesome toys!

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 10:37:35 PM »

I love that first video, great stuff!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:53:08 PM by SpinQueen »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 01:13:34 AM »

Yes, that is a wonderful video. Brunitus must have at least a small collection of tops.
He is (mostly) a diabolo performer from (La Boca, Buenos Aires) Argentina (www.brunitus.com.ar) and has done some tours of Spain and Italy. He uses single-sided diabolos quite a bit: one of the photos shows him with four on stage.

There is a good interview on the internet circus magazine (in Spanish) El Circense (www.elcircense.com). (Salvador/Pulp: busquen el fascículo de marzo 09 y luego con el mouse den vueltas las hojas.) There he talks about how he invented and applied for a patent for the diabolo with stacks: "a combination of diabolo, gyroscope and spinning top." He came up with the idea from a physics class (both of his parents are physics teachers). He showed it to Mr. Henrys but he thought it was too niche for a product. Soon a few other performers came up with the idea independently, including a group from Switzerland, Tr’espace, with whom he met.
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up