iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: videos of trompos being turned  (Read 3157 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
videos of trompos being turned
« on: September 18, 2011, 07:50:05 PM »

Found a few more videos of wood trompos being turned on Youtube.

This link is to a 13+ minute tutorial in Spanish, so I don't know if the advice is good or not. :-\

This one has an interesting apparently homemade lathe.
terminando un trompo de madera

and here is a different view of the same set up with major aliasing from the camera making the top almost stationary.
asiendo un trompo de madera 3

finally a different apparently homemade lathe assembly where he turns a nice large top similar to the Rios film traditional tops.
Haciendo un trompo.3gp

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: videos of trompos being turned
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »

Thanks for the videos, John.  It is humbling to see how these craftsmen assemble homemade lathes with salvaged parts parts and make a living with them.

The explanation on the linked demo from the school is not great, but it is funny how the microphone girl backs away when the chips start to fly.

I got a good idea for a turning helper from one of the videos. :-X I need to try it . . .

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:59:15 PM »

I got a good idea for a turning helper from one of the videos. :-X I need to try it . . .

The second movie with the camera strobe effect gave me the idea that one could turn while illuminating the piece with a strobe light.  That way one could see exactly what was happening with the veins in the wood (or the number in a pool ball) without having to stop the lathe all the time. But, as I suspected my idea was too good not to have been tried before. A little search immediately found a link to this 2006 2001 article. From the article I gather that it does in fact work well but it is a little esoteric for the average turner.

Jim, mention this to Philippe. I know he has a strobe light to test the tops, so I wonder if he has used it like this.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:28:10 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:32:11 AM »

turning under a strobe light ?

yes yes ! i will talk phillipe into giving a try

thank you for the vids

jim