iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2009 National Spin Top Rules  (Read 21934 times)

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
2009 National Spin Top Rules
« on: September 16, 2009, 12:09:11 AM »

Here are the 2009 National Spin Top Rules. I have asked Thad to update the National Spin Top website.
We will again have separate Fixed and Bearing Tip Freestyles. The scores from Worlds showed that fixed tip tops scored more points than bearing tip tops. Players may perform in both the Fixed and Bearing Tip divisions if they wish. Tops with one-way bearings may only be used in the Fixed Tip Division.

2009 National Spin Top Sport Division Trick List
Read trick descriptions carefully. All tricks are to be performed as described in the text. The Spinning Top Sport Division is open to players of all abilities and is a 40-trick list with increasingly difficult tricks.
There are four age group divisions as follows:
12 and under, 13-16, 17-44, 45-106.
Rules:
Any Spinning Top may be used, you may change tops at any time, with the exception of regeneration tricks which must be done with a fixed tip top (those tricks are identified in the list). Top must spin for 5 seconds as the ending for each trick. Players may try as many tricks on the list in any order as they wish. Players get one attempt at each trick. Players are retired after 3 missed tricks. Players with the highest score wins his/her division.
Tie Breakers:
If there is a tie, the player who completed the highest trick on the list is the winner. If there is still a tie then it will be the next highest completed trick on the list to determine the winner. If the tied players have completed all the same tricks, then a tie breaker will be held using tricks on the trick list and decided by the head judge.
1. Spinner – 1 Pt
Throw top to spin on floor
2. Big Scoop – 1 Pt
Scoop top spinning on floor into palm of hand.
3. Bull's-eye to Frisbee – 1 Pt
Throw Spinner into Frisbee supplied by Judge.
4. Skyrocket – 1 Pt
Throw Spinner; wrap string around top, holding one or both ends of string pop top up to hand.
5. Boomerang – 1 Pt
Throw like a Spinner, but pull back so top lands in hand.
6. Boomerang under leg – 1 Pt
Throw Boomerang so that top travels under either leg, and catch in hand.
7. Merry-Go-Round – 1 Pt
Throw Boomerang, allow the top to drop off your hand while catching the tip into a loop of string held between the thumb and index finger. Allow the top to travel in a circular motion 3 revolutions below your throw hand, return to hand.
8. Hackey Top – 1 Pt
Throw Boomerang, drop top and bounce it off knee, return to hand.
9. Arm Walker – 1 Pt
Throw Boomerang, elevate hand to walk top down arm to inside of elbow, then pop top back to hand.
10. Crazy 8 (3 reps) – 1 Pt
Perform Merry-Go-Round over and under (or under and over) arm for each rep, return to hand.
11. Trapeze – 1 Pt
Throw top so that it lands sideways on string. Return to hand.
12. Bull's-eye to 2 inch target – 2 Pt
Throw Spinner into target provided by Judge.
13. Behind the back Boomerang – 2 Pt
Throw Boomerang behind the back and catch in hand in front of body.
14. Wirewalker (fixed tip) – 2 Pt
Throw Boomerang to either hand, wrap string around tip, pull taunt to cause top to spin across string to other hand. Top must travel on string at least 1/2 width of shoulders. Hand from which top starts walk may not move until after top has been launched by string.
15. Rock the Baby (2 rocks) – 2 Pt
Throw Trapeze, form cradle, pass the top through the cradle in both directions for each rep. Return to hand.
16. Hop the Fence (3 reps) – 2 Pt
Throw & catch Trapeze, put both ends of string in throwing hand. With non-throwing hand pull string up and forward so top goes over throwing hand, orbits non-throwing hand, and then returns to Trapeze. The orbit is typically performed when top tip is pointing the same direction as non-throwing hand fingers. Return to hand.
17. Gyroscopic Flop – 2 Pt
Throw Boomerang, bind top in center of string. Pull string tight so that top makes one full rotation around string. Return to hand.
18. Mach 5 – 2 Pt
Throw Boomerang, bind top in center of string, make 3 revolutions of both hands around top, keeping top stationary. Return to hand.
19. Around the World – 2 Pt
Throw Trapeze, swing top one full circle at full string length. Return to hand.
20. Dive Bomber – 2 Pt
Throw a Boomerang, slide top onto string ala Merry Go Round, swing top under throwing hand side leg (inside to outside) back to hand.
21. Corkscrew – 2 Pt
Throw Boomerang, make one wrap around tip. Wrap string around forearm 3 times, raise arm vertical, and swing top, to follow string and orbit arm 3 times. Return to hand.
22. Wire-walker 2 (fixed tip) – 3 Pt
Perform Wire-walker, re-wrap string around point and wire-walk back to original hand. Top must travel on  string at least 1/2 width of shoulders in each direction. Hand from which top starts each walk may not move until after top has been launched by string.
23. Cable Car (fixed tip) – 3 Pt
Throw Boomerang to throw hand. Drop top on string being held between both hands. Allow top to slide along string until it is close to other hand. Wrap string around tip and pull it taunt to cause top to travel back to throwing hand.
24. Roller Coaster to hand (fixed tip) (10 reps) – 3 Pt
Throw Boomerang, slide top down onto string using same motion as Merry Go Round; jerk back with throwing hand causing top to pop off string and return to hand for each rep. Return to hand.
25. Time Warp – 3 Pt
Do Around the World in one direction, pause at the bottom and then swing top one full circle the opposite direction. Return to hand.
26. Bermuda Triangle – 3 Pt
Start with Merry Go Round and insert index finger from non-throw hand in the loop of string. Form a triangle with string by causing the top to rotate about the index finger inserted into the loop of the string. Perform 3 rotations. Return to hand. String may have up to one full wrap around top tip while forming triangle.
27. Whip Catch – 3 Pt
Throw Trapeze, pop top off string into air, and re-catch in loop of string using a whip motion. Return to hand.
28. Lasso Catch – 3 Pt
Throw like a Boomerang, but catch top with string using a horizontal swiping motion. Return to hand.
29. Roller Coaster to String (fixed tip) (10 reps) – 4 Pt
Lasso catch and perform Roller Coaster but re-catch it on string instead of in hand. Return to hand.
30. Drumbeat (fixed tip) (10 reps) – 4 Pt
Throw Trapeze, pop top into air, re-catch on string. Return to hand.
31. Upside Down Merry-Go-Round – 4 Pt
Throw Trapeze. Control top to spin tip up, and do 3 reps of Merry Go Round with tip pointing up (no more than 45 degrees from vertical). Return to hand.
32. Upside Down Crazy 8's – 4 Pt
Throw Trapeze. Control top to spin tip up, and do 3 reps of Crazy 8's with tip pointing up. Return to hand.
33. Behind the Back Trapeze to Lasso – 4 Pt
Throw Trapeze on throw hand side onto string held behind the back. Pass top behind the back by sliding top on string around body until it is popped up in front of body. Catch top with a Lasso. Return to hand.
34. One Hand Trapeze – 4 Pt
Throw Trapeze, catching top on segment of string between thumb and a finger of throwing hand. Return to hand.
35. One Hand Lasso – 4 Pt
Perform Lasso catch with one hand. Return to hand.
36. Joker Choker (fixed tip) (10 reps) – 5 Pt
Perform alternating Roller Coasters and Drumbeats (or Sewing Machine and Drumbeats) of 10 reps each. Return to hand.
37. Behind the Back One Hand Lasso – 5 Pt
Throw Behind the Back Boomerang and catch top with a One Hand Lasso in front. Return to hand.
38. Magnetic Wire Orbits {Satellites} (fixed tip) (10 reps) – 5 Pt
Lasso catch and begin orbiting top in horizontal circles passing top alternatively below and above  hands. Top regenerates spin as it travels along string. Hands never let go of string. Top may pass above hands in front of the head or behind it. Return to hand.
39. Behind the Back Trapeze to One Hand Lasso – 6 Pt
Perform a Behind the Back Trapeze to Lasso but Catch top with a One Hand Lasso. Return to hand.
40. Bull's-eye to bottle cap target – 6 Pt
Throw Spinner into bottle cap supplied by judge.

2009 National Spin Top Championship Division

Fixed Tip Championship Freestyle Format:
The Championship freestyle will be 3 minutes in duration performed to music. Qualification for the Championship freestyle will generally be determined by the performance of a 1 minute freestyle. Each player will supply music for their performance. Music is not mandatory for the 1 minute qualification freestyle.  All music must be considered G rated (appropriate for all audiences). Performers with inappropriate music (obscenities, ethnic or sexual slurs, etc.) may be disqualified. If you are unsure about your music, a judge will be available to listen to your music and make sure it is appropriate. Since winding the string on the top does not score points the player is encouraged to have pre-wound tops ready to throw. Only tops pre-positioned on stage before the start are to be used and tops that leave the stage during the freestyle may not be returned. All tops used must be wound by the player, no assistance will be permitted. One-way bearing tops will be restricted to the Fixed Tip Division.

Fixed Tip Freestyle Judging:
Points are given for each completed trick or combination (repeated tricks receive reduced credit) with bonus points for difficulty and originality. Points for each different regeneration trick are given for the first five reps. Tricks done after five regeneration's get difficulty bonus points. Points may be awarded for style, theme, and performance. There are no deducts because loss of control of the top creates its own penalty.

Fixed Tip Scoring:
The trick completion counts for 90% of the total with the style, theme, and performance counting for 10%. The total score will be used to determine the First, Second, and Third place Fixed Tip Spin Top Champions.

Bearing Tip Championship Freestyle Format:
The Championship freestyle will be 3 minutes in duration performed to music. Qualification for the Championship freestyle will generally be determined by the performance of a 1 minute freestyle. Each player will supply music for their performance. Music is not mandatory for the 1 minute qualification freestyle.  All music must be considered G rated (appropriate for all audiences). Performers with inappropriate music (obscenities, ethnic or sexual slurs, etc.) may be disqualified. If you are unsure about your music, a judge will be available to listen to your music and make sure it is appropriate. Since winding the string on the top does not score points the player is encouraged to have pre-wound tops ready to throw. Only tops pre-positioned on stage before the start are to be used and tops that leave the stage during the freestyle may not be returned. All tops used must be wound by the player, no assistance will be permitted.

Bearing Tip Freestyle Judging:
Points are given for each completed trick or combination (repeated tricks receive reduced credit) with bonus points for difficulty and originality. Points may be awarded for style, theme, and performance. There are no deducts because loss of control of the top creates its own penalty. Points are given for each completed trick or combination (repeated tricks receive reduced credit) with bonus points for difficulty and originality. Points may be awarded for style, theme, and performance. There are no deducts because loss of control of the top creates its own penalty.

Bearing Tip Scoring:
The trick portion of the freestyle counts for 90% of the total with the style, theme, and performance counting for 10%. The total score will be used to determine the First, Second, and Third place Bearing Tip  Spin Top Champions.

National Spin Top Champion:
The scores from the Fixed Tip and Bearing Tip freestyles will be combined to determine the overall National Spin Top Champion. The Champion will have their name engraved on the National Spin Top Trophy and will own the National Spin Top Trophy Top for one year. The Trophy Top must be returned in time for the next year's championship.

Jeromy K.

Re: 2009 National Spin Top Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:27:38 AM »

I cant wait to see the compaction. It will be a learning experience.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »

Thanks a lot for all the work, Alan!

So there will be 7 prizes: 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each division, plus a national title. Nice! Anybody that can should freestyle!

The National Spintop Champion will not necessary be the same as one of the National Spintop Division winners but will certainly have to compete in both divisions to add enough points.

Next weekend will be my last with the NSTC trophy. I'll try to film something with it for the 3rd collaborative video. That top is so well balanced! And it weighs 1 3/4 lb less than Figaro (3.66 lb instead of 5.40 lb) so it is much kinder to throw.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:53:10 PM by ta0 »

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »

The 2009 National Spin Top Rules are now updated on the National Yo-Yo Contest Website.

http://www.nationalyoyo.org/contest/2009/spintop.php

The schedule does not identify when they will happen. I will try to get Thad to update that information.

We will only have the 1 minute qualifying freestyles if there is a huge turnout and need to reduce the number of championship freestyles.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »

I think it's going to be slim pickings from The Academy this year.  Seems a lot of folks are busy that weekend, even though I gave them plenty of notice this year.  :-\

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »

Sorry to hear that, SpinQueen!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »

So, Queen of Spin, are you freestyling? With the new longer hair and hot body you should look good on stage  ;)

Who else is going? Is John Buechele confirmed?

The NSTC trophy should arrive to the Yo-Yo Museum this Monday. Good luck to everybody!

There may be live broadcast from Chico, according to Greg.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:37:59 PM by ta0 »

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 12:18:02 AM »

Freestyling?  I haven't even registered.  Not even sure I'm going to compete at all.  I haven't thrown a top in a while other than playing battle tops once in a great while w/my kids   I'm going for the party and to hang out and scout out new tops.  I'm looking forward to the Battle Top contest.

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 02:21:47 AM »

I'm looking forward to the Battle Top contest.

Old school.  Wish I was there.

BTW, I love your videos of kids having fun with tops.  Reminds me of when there were a zillion "boomer" kids in the streets of New York City.  Many of us busting tops, or trying to.  Too bad there aren't more writers capturing the image of scores of kids in the city spinning tops on the asphalt. (-:

Ed

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 07:57:24 PM »

This list of tricks is very interesting. I hope some day here we could organize a national championship, but I see it very far away. I don`t understand very well all of the tricks listed, but I like the way you give points to each trick according with the difficulty degree.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »

It is correct that the trick unlisted never were performed in Worlds or Nationals? How many points would have the new tricks?

"¿Es correcto que los trucos que no están en la lista nunca han sido utilizados en los Worlds o Nationals? ¿Cuántos puntos extra tienen los trucos nuevos?"
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »

I can think of at least one trick that was on a previous compulsory list that is not there. And of course, lots of tricks done on freestyles are not in that list. The list tries to include most of the basic and classical tricks plus a few others for variety and difficulty. The points were assigned according to our perceived degree of difficulty, but that is always somewhat subjective.

I plan to record clips of all the tricks on the sports division in the future as I once did for the old championship compulsories.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »

How many tries before you are able to get target to bottle cap on video?   :D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 05:48:41 AM »

I'm getting nervous.  No one is answering the question about who is going to compete at nationals!  Certainly there will be some top spinners freestyling in Chico..........won't there? 

I had hoped that this would be the year I could go but it just didn't work out.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 09:47:25 AM »

I hear that Darrin from Jon Gates's Denver club and Colorado state champion will be at nationals and that he has gotten pretty good.

So, John B. is not going?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 08:17:52 PM »

I don't know what to say about John Buechele.  He hasn't been posting on the forum for a while.  I'm afraid he must have gotten too busy with his new job.  Stupid work stuff!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 09:44:17 AM »

That would be a bummer. I hope he makes it.

I hear that Takeshi will probably be there. He should win bearing.

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »

Unfortunately I will not be making the trip to Chico. I was trying to put something together until last friday but the trip is just not feasible at this time. Work is keeping me so busy I actually haven't even looked at my tops in over two weeks. So alas another year passes and no tournaments for me. There's always next year :-\

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »

rats
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up