iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: QS roXorz!  (Read 8384 times)

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Re: QS roXorz!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 05:57:12 PM »

you can do anything to it that you can do to aluminum to include bb and anodizing.

Jeromy K.

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 06:06:47 PM »

My concern is on the anodizing will it change the bearing seat and the threaded top too tight to fit and will bb affect the way the string comes off the top. I was going to try it and see how it  works with the bb.

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 08:12:05 AM »

i'm sure it would affect the fit of the bearing/threads to some extent, but you can always mask anything that you don't want anodized/bb. also, as long as the bb isn't too agressive you should be fine with the way the string comes off the top. i don't know if i'd bb it though. i'm sure it would look nice but wouldn't enhance the performance of the top...it might even increase drag and reduce spin times. but then again, if all you are looking for is aesthetics then go for it.

keep in mind that i am not speaking from experience in anodizing tops but yo-yos. i haven't done it myself but i am familiar with the process. the concept is the same. bb or ano on a yo-yo is great for tricks, but like i said above, you would probably only improve the look of the QS. btw, you aren't going to try anodizing at home are you? i'm assuming you will be going to a professional.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 08:33:27 AM »

I love those dumpster shots!  I knew I was in the right place last Tuesday when I starting recognizing the dumpsters.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeromy K.

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 11:59:53 AM »

btw, you aren't going to try anodizing at home are you? i'm assuming you will be going to a professional.
I have been looking at what it takes to do it, I have the funds the mechanical back ground and the facility to do it. I will be doing some trial and error first to see if I can do it. I know the risks and the dangers and will be taking the proper steps to not have any issues. I'm not a kid that thinks it would be cool to do anodizing in my room, I have access to a large shop.  A company that I worked for in the past has the BB so I always have access to it when I need. If I fail I will be taking it to some one professional.

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »

sounds awesome Jeromy! just make sure you show us the results!

Jeromy K.

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 12:01:32 AM »

Here are the pics I said I would post.
10:00 pm saturday night

8:00 am in my Sunday Best.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »

It's been my experience that some QS fixed tips have fit a bit loose--the extra deposition after ano will prolly help 'em fit better.  I'd do the fixed one first as you can muscle the tip into place without worring about bunging up a bearing.

I've been wanting to try a little garage anodizing projct.  Be curious to hear how yours turns out.

It seems like I read that the slightly irregular surface after BB might actually cause the air to be more randomly disrupted and decrease drag. I'll let someone more qualified confirm or deny...
Erratic Wobbler

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 12:19:57 AM »

Nice photos, now I'll know who to look for at nationals.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 11:37:20 AM »

Love the photos. 
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?