iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: glass artist making finger top  (Read 3297 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
glass artist making finger top
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:34:26 PM »

I've always liked to watch glass blowers do their thing (especially scientific pieces) and although there's no blowing in this, I'm still impressed with the results.

link =

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
Re: glass artist making finger top
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:08:49 AM »

Very nice!  I have a number of glass tops, but they mostly spin fairly poorly, and none are this colorful.  Most of them were made for me because I requested them from glass worker friends.
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:34:45 AM »

Those look really neat.  I got this one at a marble show last year:

Jag O Twister

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »

Great video!!!! Thanks for posting it.

Lourens

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »

I am back from a holiday after working for such a long time on my book.
Now I look what has happened on the Ta0-forum since! During my holiday me and Ria, my wife, have travelled through the South of Germany, Swiss, Austria and Czechia this summer. One of the first days we visited the Vitra Museum in Weil am Rhein. Their collection has also many items from the famous Ray and Charles Eames! Outside the museum was a demonstration of 'The Glass Lab' from New York-state. I think these boys are very famous in designing glass. They were invited by the Vitra-museum for a week to show their abillities with glass in all kinds of shapes. Just at the moment we arrived they started making two spinning tops; one larger and one smaller one. I talked with them ans  a designer and off course tried to achieve one of these toips. But unfortunately it was not for sale, all the experiments in this week were meant for the Vitra-museum. Can you imagine that the whole Glass-Lab travels in two containers by airplane from the US?
I found a  recording on you tube (not from Vitra and not from spinning tops but you see the Glass Lab:
Lourens.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »

another makers approach

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »

Interesting fabrication process. Thanks for posting it.  I have never worked with glass and I am surprised how many steps it required of attaching and removing rods.  I would have guessed that it could be made from a single glob of glass at the end of a rod, but I must be wrong.