iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wow!!!! (New Strummol8 Tops)  (Read 10668 times)

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Wow!!!! (New Strummol8 Tops)
« on: April 15, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »

I received my package from Maurizio earlier today. All I can say is wow. These are to date, the finest bearing tops I have ever had the privilege of spinning. I am truly in love with Sofia. When I first took it out of the package I almost couldn't bring myself to spin it. Almost... It is actually such an incredible piece of craftsmanship, I am truly impressed. On the throw it spins extremely smooth in my hand. I wondered how the weight distribution would feel because of the two different materials. I also wondered how smooth it would play due to the shape. I can safely say that I have not had this kind of fun and enjoyment in spinning a top in a long time. From the performance standpoint, it handled with ease every trick I threw at it. Even some tricks that push the limits of my talent. There is nothing that this top didn't do, and do well.

And then there was the STB2. Yet another fantastic piece of engineering. So smooth on the throw, also handling all the tricks I could muster. And it spins, and spins, and spins. This is the perfect shape for a top this size.

For reference both my Sofias have the one way bearing installed. The STB2 I switched over to a regular bearing tip. I did have a little trouble switching out the 1wb tip with the regular bearing tip. The part of the shaft on the regular bearing tip that goes through the bearings was a little too big and so I had to file it down just a little bit to make it fit. But after that it worked great.

These are truly great additions to the Strummol8 line. With tops that push the envelope of design we can push the envelope of play.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Wow!!!! (New Strummol8 Tops)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:11:23 PM »

Great review, John. 
What do you think of the new tip shape?  I really like it for both bearing and 1wb.  I haven't tried it for fixed yet. 

The STB 2.0 is my dream top!  I can't review it with out saying stuff like "love", "best ever", "If i had to choose one top..."  :) :)

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 01:15:22 AM »

i'm in buying process. I'm looking forward to test the new tip, the only way bearing and the new STB-2.

The original string is a little thin in my opinion. A King Bearing string works better. (Really the Gustavo Castro's string is superb to Strummol8 tops, but I care his gift as a treasure). Don't worry Maurizio, I'll send some soon for testing. I'm sure Gus will like to change tops by string.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:51:27 AM »

For bearing tops i really like the new shape. My reason being that I love upside down tricks and a little bit of a lip helps the string hold better on the tip. I prefer the other tip shape for fixed play though.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »

I have only had time to play a little with the Sofia (1wb) and almost nothing with the STB2 (bearing). I have not changed the tip setups yet. What I have been doing is testing the one-way-bearing, and it is really a game-changing thing. Some of the always-on-string regens, like magnetic wire/orbitas can be done with ease. If you pay attention to the bearing sound you can tell when it is regenerating and when not. For example, I verified that on my Spinning Spiders I in fact regen on both parts of the movements but more on the downward phase. I still need to experiment much more.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:07:54 PM by ta0 »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »

I can hardly put my new tops down long enough to say all the nice things that need be said.  All good stuff.  I'm especially fond of the wee-beastie 2.0.  I generally like a larger top (who am I kidding, I like all tops), but now I'm conflicted.

I totally agree with Ta0 about the on-string regens.  I don't do many (or do 'em well), but that is going to change. :)

I've tried the new tip in fixed play, and then changed it out to the original "Giulia tip".  As expected, the latter is preferred as it runs smoother on the string through a wider range of "string angles".  I do indeed like the new tip for upside down and other bearing stuff. 

I'm still trying to settle on the right string too...
Erratic Wobbler

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 01:15:06 AM »

When will these be available for sale. Where/Who do I need to see to get one for myself.

Respectfully
Mike

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »

Contact MrYo here on this board for more info as he is the maker of these fine tops.

MrYo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »

In the next days YoYoExpert will have some of my tops, so will be easy to get them  ;)

Maurizio

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »

AWESOME!

BucsFan

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 01:03:55 AM »

very nice tops want to get some my self

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 03:02:16 AM »

Thats great news Maurizio :)

albertino

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 05:52:34 AM »

Wonderful :D i'm so curious to try it :D
LAUNCH THE COFFE DRINK THE TOP, drink the top on the coffe, drink coffe on the top, I LOVE DRINK COFFE AND LAUNCH TOP!

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 12:33:21 AM »

Thanks for the help / information
Mike

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »

I wanted to add a little more to my review of these tops. First of all I truly love the 1wb set up. Again my Sofia tops have the 1wb in them. I could play with one of these tops for hours. Everything about the top is fun. I'm also finding that with 1wb some regens that are not very efficient with fixed tip are perhaps the most efficient with 1wb. For example I can generate more spin with orbits than any other form of regeneration. I'm sure ta0, poptop, johnm, or someone else could come up with a way to help verify this. Anyways I also love the weight and balance of this top. It plays so smooth. And I have also found that I could snap start this top, which creates an even greater number of possibilities for me. On a side note, after having played with a 1wb for a while now I can firmly stand by my position that it would be unfair to allow these tops into either an exclusive bearing or fixed division in competition.

Now onto the STB 2.0. I think i'm jumping into Neff's boat on this one. It might be the best production top I have ever played. The weight is perfect, the size is perfect. I am now carrying this top with me where ever I go. The more I play this top the more I love it. I would say more about it but words will do no justice here. Soon I will post some videos of these tops in action.

Huge thanks again to Maurizio for creating these tops, and sharing his creations with all of us. He has pushed the limits of what we believed possible, and has done so with style and grace.