iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fattening up a Diet RC  (Read 4326 times)

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Fattening up a Diet RC
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:27:21 PM »

So I have done two ripcords with the diet RC mod now and I decided to start experimenting with it a little more. My problem with the diet RC is how light it is. I like tops, especially fixed tip tops, that are a little on the heavier side, but with a low center of gravity. So my solution was to add weight inside the top close to the tip so that it maintains that low center of gravity. After several failed attempts I came up with an idea that works, sort of. I went to a hardware store and purchased several washers that fit deep inside the top. I placed a few washers in the top with spacers in between them to keep them from moving around. Then I took a screw and screwed it down into the tip. This holds the washer's in place. For me the biggest benefit of heavier tops is learning to regenerate. It plays pretty good, kind of like my quicksilver with a plastic cap.

I'll try and get some pictures up later of what the assembly looks like outside the top.

Jeromy K.

Re: Fattening up a Diet RC
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:41:08 PM »

I don't know how permanent you want the weight to be in your top but you could pour flow-able silicone in the tip and let it set up that is what I did with my Mexican tops and it worked quite well.

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »

I could see that working. My biggest thing was being able to experiment with different weights until I found something that felt right.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »

Thanks for this info!
Question I haveā€¦.
I tried using silly putty/sticky tac in the bottom of some of my tops to help with trying to learn regens. 
It did not remain in position very long and reoriented some of itself upwards towards one side. 
Is it that I tried the wrong material?  Or, Is the top out of balance? 
The top without the material seems to well balanced.   

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:31:10 PM »

I wanna see da pics John  ;D

I tried Dave Bazan's silly-putty method in an imperial moments after I read about it, and I tried it several times for weeks after, and I had the same experience you did Larry.  I think the flowable would be a much better idea for the Imperial.  The Trompos don't need it so bad because they have the metal tip weight, but many people would enjoy the heavier feel I think.

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:02:55 AM »

Ok so I had to use the camera on my laptop so the following picture is not the best quality. What you're seeing is a screw with a plastc spacer all the way at the top then I have to different sized washers with a round disc plastic spacer in between and the screw is down into the tip. I think my next step will be to try and get some metal tips that will fit the ripcord, and use a method similar to what JohnM has done in the past to keep everything in place. More to come in the next day or two I guess, but for now enjoy.

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »

Ok finally got some tools I needed to do what I actually wanted to do. The tip is a spintastics trompo grand tip modified using Top-az's idea. The I drilled a hole in the tip and tapped it. Inspired by the idea's of others on this forum I used a bolt with the head cut off screwed into the tip. I used the same washer and space pattern above, and then a nut on top to hold everything in place. This plays relatively smooth. I like it a lot, but I tend to like heavier tops anyway. Here are a few pics.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »

Nice!

Now you need to do the same to another tip but put in on a Quick Silver. Use a longer bolt and wrap fire wick to it. Ta-da! You got yourself a fire top! 

I guess you could keep the body of the Ripcord, but plastic and fire don't match well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:42:36 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 10:36:11 AM »

Good work, John.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!