iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A very technical note about adding scores  (Read 4061 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
A very technical note about adding scores
« on: August 09, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »

I was looking at last year score sheets (I need to get into judge mode, it will be my first time) and I noticed something that needs to be fixed this year.  I want to first point out that there is not one absolute "correct" way of scoring. Other methods are valid, such as assigning the highest score 3 points, the second one 2 points, etc. as pointed out by Mike.

The way the scores are added between judges is by first normalizing the scores of each judge so his/her highest is 100 points and the rest of the scores of that judge are adjusted proportionally. This sounds a fair and logical way of doing it.

This normalization was done last year, except that for the first time there were two divisions, bearing and fixed tip, and the scores were normalized per judge just once, with respect to the highest score given in either division. The end result was that he scores in one division influenced the scores in the other. If all the judges score the players in the same order there is no problem but when the players change positions between judges that is not anymore the case.

Last year the bearing podium positions could have changed due to the (higher) fixed tip scores. By pure chance this did not happen by about a 1 point difference!

In conclusion, the scores have to be normalized independently for each division, to declare the division winners. As far as the overall winner, I am not completely sure which normalization would be better  ???  There is probably no perfect way of doing it. So for simplicity we should probably just add the independently normalized scores.

Mike: you are correct that by your method we would have tied for the overall title if there had been one. But I would have won by these rules (with either normalization).  I need to make myself a trophy  :P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:31:27 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: A very technical note about adding scores
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »

I knew you would find the "other ways" to win!!!

Actually, I did not believe I deserved the championship.  I just thought I deserved the moment to gripe and gloat!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »

Ta0, have you discussed this with GReg?  He is the one that can explain why it needs to be as it is.  That is what he had me doing for so many years.  The AP division scoring is what you need to look at to see how it works and why it makes a big difference.  Ooops, my bad.  Not AP but the combined division which is not on the schedule for this year.  The combination of scores for the different styles with fewer players means adjusting the normalized scores for each round.  Let me know when you talk to GReg and I will try to help explain it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:50:49 AM by Dick Stohr »
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:53:27 PM »

I'll try to discuss it with Greg over there. For the overall winner it is one of many valid ways of doing it. But I think that for the division champions it makes little sense that the result of another division influences who wins.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »

I agree each division stands on its own.  There should be no change in how the fixed or bearing is scored.  But combining two divisions to determine a overall winner is then a separate issue that is not simple addition.

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »

what is the average number of people subscriving to tspintops world contest each years?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »

Suddenly the simplicity of a single division, any top goes, captures my interest.  A discussion for after Worlds, perhaps.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 03:22:20 PM »

Simple is good.
Erratic Wobbler

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 07:57:13 PM »

I think the person with the highest score should win  ::)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 02:36:49 AM »

what is the average number of people subscriving to tspintops world contest each years?

ah ah ah ! it's one these taboo questions :  ;D ;D ;D ;D

réponse "langue de bois " : "un certain nombre "
official answer : " a sound number "

vraie réponse : moins de 10
true answer : less than 10

this question has already been debated many times on the topspinning forum... together with the number of nations represented (less than 4)

so far , that's the way it has been  ???

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:47 AM »

thx Jim. Damned, i thought they were omething like 20-30 ppl on the contest ><