iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Salvador's custom tips  (Read 4179 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Salvador's custom tips
« on: July 28, 2010, 01:09:45 AM »

Salvador had somebody made him (in a CNC lathe) retrofit tips for the Spintastics Trompo Grande that will also fit a Quicksilver.

These steel tips are great for fixed-tip play and the one he uses in the Toboganes tutorial videos.  Salvador assembled kits with 2 tips, string, button and a ring that fits those spintops. Unfortunately, he did not consult me or I would have told him that US players would in general prefer not to play with the ring and instead have a longer string. Actually, Salvador knew we don't use rings too much but he swears by them and wants us to try.

I tested 10 tips in 3 Trompo Grande and 2 Quicksilvers. In one of each spintop I had to add a drop of superglue for the tip not to come out as they were smaller by a few microns.  On an anodized QS it fit nicely as well as in the other two (recent) Trompo Grandes. But then I noticed some white residue as if Dale himself had used glue . . .  ???

I will be bringing some to Worlds. The price is $5 per bag.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:11:16 PM by ta0 »

pplgrande

• Superhero member
Re: Salavador's custom tips
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:36:57 AM »

Woo hoo, this is exciting, Worlds it going to be like christmas, I cant wait for all the goodies
I'll take two bags if possible, if enough are avaliable :)
Thanks Salvador and ta0

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:52:12 AM »

Cool!

After reading Watt's advice about using tissue to keep a loose tip in, I've been using plastic, like ziploc bag plastic.  Works good and you can burn the excess off.

Tomymoonly

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 08:08:16 AM »

Sometimes i feel really discriminated to not live in USA... Cant benefit of all your work guys that's sad ^^

I hope one day to visit you and get as much stuff as i ll be able to bring back in FRANCE MwawawaMwawaaw

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:13:03 AM »

Well, believe me, there are plenty of these bags for everybody. Get as many as you wish.

If you are not coming to worlds or nats I can mail them, but don't expect rush service  ::) . If you are going to Miamisburg and I finally don't go (I still have to talk to my wife), I can ship some to Mike to distribute.

After reading Watt's advice about using tissue to keep a loose tip in, I've been using plastic, like ziploc bag plastic.  Works good and you can burn the excess off.
The tips could slide off but had no wiggle. Perhaps about 20 microns or 1/1000" from an interference fit, so I don't think there is space to put tissue or plastic.

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »

Hi Ta0, I wont be at worlds, but the current Paypal way will work? how much more should we add for the delivery?

Thanks!!!

Java

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 11:40:14 AM »

I can't make it to worlds this year.  :(  But I'd love to try that tip! If I would like a couple of bags, should I wait until after Worlds to arrange it, or should I PM you now? I'm not in a huge hurry, and I'm sure you've got trip preparations going on.

Have Fun,
Tom
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:56:55 PM by Java »

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »

Hey roomie, put me down for 2.
Practice hard and play safe.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Salvador's custom tips
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »

Please Please save a kit bag for me as I very much so would like to have one. I'll send you PM with further detail.
Sometimes the points that come with those Spintastics tops do happen to hang up on the string for me not allowing the top to pop off. Really looking forward to trying Salvador's custom points. ^_^