iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: wood turning  (Read 258 times)

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
wood turning
« on: March 31, 2024, 10:52:12 AM »

Prior to getting involved with tops and working with Keith Nelson, my woodturning experiments revolve around the challenges of large single pieces of wood and playing with finishes and color.  This is the latest bowl, Pine with dye.  It has considerable checking so I had to proceed with caution and a very sharp edge to prevent a failure.  While I'm not a fan in coating pieces with epoxy, this piece is as I tried to force epoxy into the cracks.  It will get coats of uv resistant varnish in the coming days.  The lathe is a Reed Prentice metal lathe converted to turn wood with a traditional tool rest to use wood gauges, DC motor offers variable speed + forward and reverse, 25 inch swing x 84" bed.  The converted metal lathe works well but has ergonomic challenges since it was not designed to be used with hand tools.  The bowl is 19" x 10" x 3/8" thick.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: wood turning
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 12:18:24 PM »

Beautiful shape and colors!
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 09:24:16 AM »

Thanks Jeremy, nice to hear your appreciation.  I'll post another picture once it's off the lathe.

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 08:57:33 AM »