iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Texas Jugglefest 2024  (Read 381 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Texas Jugglefest 2024
« on: February 25, 2024, 11:25:14 AM »

I forgot to mention on the forum that I was attending Jugglefest in Austin this Saturday.

I could only be there for 5 hours and top spinning was limited. But I added two new members to the Figaro Gallery (uploaded in record time!) One was Carlos Lozano from Houston, who I had met the year previous to the pandemic, and showed me a bearing combo he had learned from me at that time. The other was Chris Jost who was manning a vendor's table and by chance I found out he played tops.  He learned mainly from Mark Hayward but also knows Jon Gates. He owns a Sweetle and can regen. Alan was successful throwing Figaro after a number of (supervised) tries.
So we reached 270 players on the Figaro Gallery!

Alan C., who is already on the gallery, was also there. As a Taiwanese he was very excited that I had met Hai-Shi in Tokyo

Unfortunately, I could not try the fire top I got from Rocco as the facility (a high-school) does not allow open flames.
I did make noise with a whip top. And I tried the Rubik top I finished printing the day before to replace the one I gave to Ortwin.

On the video I just do two rotations thinking I could undo them later and get the top back into the solved configuration. But I got confused and now I need to start solving it from scratch!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 11:31:57 AM by ta0 »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Texas Jugglefest 2024
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 03:34:05 PM »

... And I tried the Rubik top I finished printing the day before to replace the one I gave to Ortwin.

On the video I just do two rotations thinking I could undo them later and get the top back into the solved configuration. But I got confused and now I need to start solving it from scratch!

Congratulations ta0!!!
Now I think I will dare to try also a boomerang with the 3D printed Rubik top ta0 gave to me. I will find a  large and  soft (and wet) patch of grass and try to film the attempt.
Solving it from scratch sounds good. You probably did not do it often with this one, since you only finished printing it the day prior to recording the video.

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 09:21:12 PM »

Good luck, orwin. Take into account that the tip has a thick neck so it's difficult to make it come back: throw with little forward momentum and pull back hard.
That top has survived been boomeranged, but I cannot guaranteed that it won't explode due to centrifugal force. But tops are meant to spin . . .

No, I have not solved this particular top, yet. I may try tonight.

PS: Today I added Tyler Wilber from San Antonio to the Figaro Gallery: #271!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:14:24 AM by ta0 »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 05:37:13 AM »

... But tops are meant to spin . . .

Yes, I try to get used to the feel of the Rubik-Top by throwing careful spinners to a Frisbee on a sofa. Thank you for the additional hints.

No, I have not solved this particular top, yet. I may try tonight.

But Rubik things are meant to be solved from scratch!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 09:34:52 AM »

But Rubik things are meant to be solved from scratch!
I agree and I'm planning to do it. It may take me a couple of days to finish it as I haven't done it again since I last reported here!

This is the video of Chris finally throwing Figaro successfully: