iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: costumes with a top  (Read 457 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
costumes with a top
« on: September 11, 2023, 10:04:34 AM »

In 1897, the upper class knew how to dress properly and the colours are so shiny

of the same period I have a card with a boys costume with a yoyo

good day

jim

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 12:22:45 PM by ta0 »
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: costumes with a top
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 04:20:48 PM »

I guess a top can be elegant and high class  :)

I'm not familiar with a top with that exact shape.

Without context, I would have guessed that the kid was from 100 years earlier while the woman behind him and specially the boy with the book were from the 20th century.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: costumes with a top
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 01:53:44 PM »

Costumes and tops have another connection in my mind. I often think of tops as dancers, each with its own costume and characteristic choreography.

I like to give my tops "costumes" (shapes, patterns, color schemes, fluorescent parts) that either visually enhance their natural choreographies or harness them to create cool visual effects at speed.

As we all know, when released upright, some tops tend to sleep quietly then fall abruptly. Many others tend to sleep then slowly transition to a smooth precession with ever increasing tilt and rate till they fall or scrape. That's their characteristic "choreography". For better or worse, reproducible wobbles occur at reproducible speeds in some choreographies.

If launched vertically at high speed and left to their own devices, many peg tops will sleep for a while, then transition rapidly to a long-lasting high-speed precession just short of their scrape angle. That's the chacteristic choreography seen here after 1:30:

High-CM tops with ball tips have their own wild but reproducible choreographies. These can easily be adjusted with CM height, TMI / AMI ratio, and ball size. Costumes make a big difference in how they look at speed.

The connection between choreography and costume is particularly strong in centrifugal, 3D color-mixing, and blacklight tops:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 03:43:53 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955