iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Support Big Tops  (Read 1069 times)

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
Support Big Tops
« on: September 05, 2023, 09:54:44 PM »

Hi All,  It's been great to see all the positive response to the Big Tops.  I enjoy sharing them and seeing what others with more top throwing skills than me can do.  Each Big Top I've made is an evolution of the previous and is quite an investment of time and resources that would not be possible without some support.  In order to keep this project going, all my tops are for sale.  Big tops start at $1500 for a 14 inch, there's also 3.5 - 4.5 inch tops available for $60.  Bringing the Big Tops to events is great fun that I hope every one enjoys, and if you've included my tops in your social media, please give credit.   I have exciting plans for the next build that I hope will be entertaining.  Please consider supporting this project with a purchase.  Thanks, Paul Stewart and on the socials @paulsriver and paulsriver.com. 4.5" Poplar wood with colors, and 3.5" Cherry wood + the whole collection. 

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Support Big Tops
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 09:15:41 PM »

The feed back from my Miamisburg visit continues via Marks' instagram video post (approaching 2 million views) of me spinning Dorothy Dot with the impact gun.  Much of the feed back is positive, people realize the size and power is uncommon.  I'm aware using an impact gun is un conventional, we could have done more with the rope pulls and volunteer runners, it just didn't happen to work out that way, that day.  There's also a fair bit of negative response, that seems to come from fake bravado, like a Ford guy telling a Chevy guy his truck is poop.  People say I should use a name brand gun or using a gun isn't pure.  I don't think many people know that I have much experience destroying things from bikes to skis to electric motors and all the learning that can come from that.  I've flipped a lathe and built 2 giant lathes, hot rodded many woodworking machines, and have fun playing with them.  I'd be happy to test any impact gun anyone brings.  It's been a lot of fun spending my money on this experiment.  Making them and spinning them is a culmination of a lot of experience. 

I offer the small tops, 2.5" - 4.5" as sort of a go fund me offering, a functional piece of folk art.  Each one hand turned, hand colored, unique, in hope that some will find the allure of handmade a cool reward for contributing to the Big Tops.  My designs have evolved but I still love the traditional 16 penny nail tip top.  In the time it took to build Dorothy Dot, I could have hand turned about 4-5 hundred 4" tops.  I make the Big Tops because they are unique and fun, and hope others share that experience with me.  Maybe I should ignore the feed back that says, "you should...make it this way...paint it that way...use a brand tool...use a rope."  I expect anyone who has a true appreciation of art and Big Tops would share a more fun and engaging conversation than someone naive with much less experience.  Same for anyone with a studied practice of physics and large machines.  The respect given is a reflection of the level of appreciation of the viewer, I'm truly grateful to those who engage and contribute and want to see more of this unique experience.  Thank you so much! 

proftop

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 10:28:13 PM »

Amazing work. Could you please tell us what woods do you have the 4.5 inch tops in? Thank you so much. Also, just wanted to know if these were hollow or solid tops? Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 10:32:04 PM by proftop »

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 11:39:43 PM »

Recently I've been making solid , not laminated but a single piece, 4.5" tops out of Poplar.  It's "salvaged" porch posts likely from the 1920's -1950's, that's been in my wood shed collection for at least 25 years, so I expect some consistency in dryness and it seems so.  There can still be some imbalance that I try to deal with by adding weight.

proftop

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 06:11:25 AM »

Thank you so much for the information.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 09:26:21 AM »

I got one of those 4.5 inch tops and it's well balanced.  It has a "hot air balloon" paint job .
I'm waiting for Paul to assign it a number so I can inscribe it (I suggested to him to number and sign his tops).

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 06:29:19 PM »

My top #48 and a top that Paul sent me to take to Cuper, #49:

Remotely signed and numbered using my little laser diode engraver:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 10:12:31 AM by ta0 »

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 08:56:15 PM »

HOLY COW ! ! !      I love it!    Since there's no laser engraver at the Round Top Top Shop, all other tops get a simple ink inscribe

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 01:32:55 AM »

salut Paul

I enjoyed reading your development on how you regard Big Tops
and  whether you use a drill or a rope to start the top as long as it spins :that's  all right ;D ;D

this sounds so familiar: I should ignore the feed back that says, "you should...make it this way...paint it that way...use a brand tool...use a rope." 
yes same things with people who know nope about aerology , sewing ripstop , or adjusting a bridle,  and keep talking and talking on what I should do with my kites ....

cheers

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 12:46:14 AM »

Cheers Jim in Paris, 

I appreciate hearing your experience is similar to mine when it comes to people giving "advice".  People who can look for possibilities for design improvements and have experience to implement improvements, and a passion for quality seems to be a strong element of this site.  Where as when we show our work to the general public, in the case of Marks' video that's approaching 2 million views, we get a bit more variety.  I'm kinda learning about myself when I realize how I feel after engaging with a troll, that I feel better to not, and try to stay focused on what is good and fun.  Still shocking though, I'm used to 10 - 100 views of my work and the response that comes with that, different when it's 2 m.

Paul

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 12:58:13 AM »

So, I hope to get some support for making Big Top #8.  They've all been experiments.  The pieces are coming together to make a bearing tip, but it's a lot, and not my only project.  Will post more soon.

Paul