iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Linked Events

• Miamisburg Festival: August 26, 2023

Author Topic: Miamisburg 2023  (Read 6062 times)

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Re: Miamisburg 2023
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2023, 08:30:38 PM »

Well I just got some down time to make this post.  Our internet has been down and the last week has been extremely busy.  We had a Great Time at Miamisburg and we always do.  That is why we always make plans to be there.  We enjoy spending time and spinning tops with our extended spin top family. Paul’s Big Tops are impressive and the whole event is Top Notch. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2023, 03:27:40 PM »

Congratulations to the US national and international open division winners and competitors.

Yes Jim, no women on that photo. But Mareike just registered on the forum (as Kreisélle) and I hear she will post a video of the 8 trick Spintastics patch.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2023, 04:41:06 PM »

We wish we had more women spinning and competing in freestyles.  We do all we can to encourage that kind of activity.  Yet, we cannot overlook female spinning by Rachel….

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 06:27:05 PM by ta0 »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2023, 09:41:37 PM »

Also, four of the younger spinners were female.  I also saw Marcus’s mom throw a top on occasion.  Here are some of our younger gals in action…

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 12:07:10 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2023, 09:49:18 PM »

I heard from Mark Leithead.  Thankfully, he made it home safely and is talking about coming back again next year.  Yeah!!!  I really enjoyed him playing guitar at the noon service with me and Jun on a rhythm box.  Seems to me that was ground breaking activity as “The Spin Top” band.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 12:06:34 AM by ta0 »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2023, 10:13:51 PM »

Well, I thought that I had posted my thanks last week.  It seems however, that I never hit the post button.
Rachel and I cannot express how great it was to spin with old friend and new friends.  So many recent life events have kept us away from tops.  The Miamisburg fest is a bright spot in our year and this year was especially so. 
Some highlights;
As good at it is to Jun on video, seeing him play in person is much more amazing and fun.   It seems that we only get to do Regen passing only at the berg.  Markus, Markus, Jun Mark and I had a great time watching each other up close. Passing requires pretty precise top control.  Eventually we passed the top to all of us a few times around the circle.  Starting one of Paul's big tops with an impact driver is a great way to stir up my tendonitis. 
And then there was my jumping into the nationals at the last moment without any real amount of practice.  There was no need to be nervous as I fully expected to give a lame performance.    I did better than I expected to do. 
Thanks to Mike and Dawn for all you do.  Thanks to the entire St. Jacob's congregation for welcoming us and allowing us to use their facility. Thanks to Jun for traveling so far to spin with us. It was a pleasure to meet you. Thanks to all you spinners. You help us to have happy hearts.  Thanks to the judges. Without you there would be no Nats.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 10:36:21 PM by Kirk »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2023, 12:57:35 AM »

Thanks for “posting” again.  As always, it was a thrill to have you and Rachel with us.  One of our young 12-13 year old gals could help Rachel and others in the female department of the whirled fest.  Her mom told me that Kendall has been carrying her top all over the place and has delighted relatives with her new skill.  There is hope for the future!!!

I walked by the riverfront area tonight and they are “shaping” the contour of the park.  It is starting to get exciting as we contemplate being in there for our 25th event. 

Marcus Heineck surprises me every year with his activities.  Of course, his spinning is improving like crazy but so is his piano playing.  He has defended his log rolling championship.  The surprise this year is that he is running cross-country!!!  Very nice.

Jun also is full of surprises.  His spinning practices are terrific to watch and I sense he is always working on new elements to add to his routine.  He has a big music background and technology is right up his alley including his work at an Apple store.  His mind always seems to be going.  He learned a lot of his English from watching the news.  Several times he walked by puzzles around the house and stopped to complete them.  I was impressed!!!

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2023, 03:04:51 PM »

Once again i am late for the party. Thank you Mike and Dawn for hosting another successful Top Festival. And providing lunch for all the attendees. We all appreciate the hard work and time you put into organizing it every year. One of the best parts is seeing everyone for that week-end once a year. Jun was a great addition this year. He reminds me to be a lot like Marcus with his enthusiasm. Paul Stewart is such a great guy. His big tops were incredible. It was great to see JohnM and the Alabama contingent and Rachel and Kirk and Mark Hayward and Mark and Jay and John Beuchele and even you Mike. Lol. Too bad this can happen only once a year. Hopefully Mike will put up with us and continue to host this great festival.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

Jun

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2024, 11:31:54 AM »

Long time no seeing you guys in the USA.
BTW, a friend of mine, Ichi Nagano is in the USA now to study abroad. He is now studying literature and learning English at the University of Nevada, Reno.
He is a very good koma player. If you can meet him, please play with spintop with him. He was competing in the world contest in Tokyo. He will be in the USA until May.
He permit me to send his number to who wants to talk to him. Please tell me if you want.

This is his account of Instagram
tm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igsh=ZDNlZDc0MzIxNw==
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 05:51:15 PM by Jun »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2024, 10:02:21 PM »

Thank you, Jun.  That is an amazing connection.  I wish I were closer to Reno.  I camped there once back in the late 70’s.  I was quite humored by the sign at the camping area that said “desert camping is fun.”  Yet, there are some struggles….like the tent stakes.  We could not get them out of the ground!!!  IN LOCAL NEWS UPDATES: the park by the river is progressing quite nicely.  I talked to the mayor (who was happy to chat about Jun and his world championship) and she says the park should be fully done in April.  The stage and new seating area are already complete and we will have fun spinning there at the celebration of our 25th anniversary of the Miamisburg Whirled Top Festival.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2024, 12:18:52 AM »

IN LOCAL NEWS UPDATES: the park by the river is progressing quite nicely.  I talked to the mayor (who was happy to chat about Jun and his world championship) and she says the park should be fully done in April.  The stage and new seating area are already complete and we will have fun spinning there at the celebration of our 25th anniversary of the Miamisburg Whirled Top Festival.

Sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to being there this year....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2024, 01:33:12 PM »

Ha ha!!!  I am upstairs at Bullwinkle’s enjoying some good food and good stories at a family gathering.  Of course, I am also enjoying some good memories of recent top fests.  I am looking forward to our 25th meal up here in August with my top spinning friends!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Miamisburg 2024
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2024, 01:41:43 PM »

Hopefully I will be able to attend this year for the 25th anniversary.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2024, 09:54:11 PM »

Well, that certainly is good news.  You might be excited about the new riverfront park.  Dedication and ribbon cutting is May 10th.  They are hoping for over a thousand to cut the ribbon.  They have ordered 2,000 scissors!!!  In another little side note, and this is the absolute truth, a new pizza shop is going in right behind the church.  It will be very convenient for our fest and you can order as many slices as you like.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2024, 11:48:54 AM »

Well, that certainly is good news.  You might be excited about the new riverfront park.  Dedication and ribbon cutting is May 10th.  They are hoping for over a thousand to cut the ribbon.  They have ordered 2,000 scissors!!!  In another little side note, and this is the absolute truth, a new pizza shop is going in right behind the church.  It will be very convenient for our fest and you can order as many slices as you like.

What's going to happen to all the scissors? If you nab some, I'm sure Jim Neff could incorporate them into one of his juggling tricks.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up