iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gus with bearing top  (Read 832 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Gus with bearing top
« on: May 09, 2023, 04:22:30 PM »

Not everyday you see Gus playing with a bearing top. Here is his "infinite corkscrew":

@gustromposoficial

The top he uses there is 20 years old, the Holotrompo Turbo from 5 Estrellas:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 04:25:22 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Gus with bearing top
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 04:30:25 PM »

Gus now has a TikTok channel. People ask him to do different videos on the comments. Somebody challenged him to send the top through a basketball hoop and catch it in a trapeze. He dribbled the full court (fixed tip this time):

@gustromposoficial

« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 10:21:27 AM by ta0 »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 05:14:27 PM »

....People ask him to do different videos on the comments. ....

Always a pleasure to see something from Gus!
Maybe you have a TikTok account and you could ask him to show us a gyro flop with fixed tip. I think he said in Marines that it is possible, but he did not show it. You meant to ask him for that video anyways you said once. Thank you, ;) .

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 11:04:51 PM »

Funny that you ask that. He has a video doing the gyroscopic flop using the same bearing top:

@gustromposoficial

and somebody asked him exactly that, to do it with a fixed it top. He said it was impossible, unless it was done the Colombian style:

I'm not sure what he meant by "Colombian style" and if he really believes it's impossible. I thought a little more about it, and think that with a slight variation in the setup it should be possible. I will try it this week and if I'm successful there will be a video. Wish me luck!

By the way, he is blowing on the top while doing the gyro flop. I believe I was the one that popularized that effect. It works great with small kids.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 11:29:58 PM »

I'm jealous, I really want one of those cinco estellas bearing tops  :P

I'm not sure what he meant by "Colombian style" and if he really believes it's impossible.

By this I think he was referring to the trick where the string is wrapped around both the tip and the narrow crown of a Colombian top, and the top does a forwards rotation.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 01:58:30 AM »

... I thought a little more about it, and think that with a slight variation in the setup it should be possible. I will try it this week and if I'm successful there will be a video. Wish me luck!
I wish you all the luck there is! But actually I suspect you are doing it methodically and you do not need to rely on luck: either it is not possible, or you get it to work!

What happens if you set the (fixed tip) top up for the mach5 trick, but then instead of moving the hands around the top, you start pulling them apart? Does the gyro flop at least start? You could help by blowing really hard!  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 10:19:28 AM »

Well, you are in luck. I still have a bunch that Salvador sent me.

By this I think he was referring to the trick where the string is wrapped around both the tip and the narrow crown of a Colombian top, and the top does a forwards rotation.
I think you are right. I don't remember how Colombians call it but when done with an old double-tip top we called it Asteroid.

What happens if you set the (fixed tip) top up for the mach5 trick, but then instead of moving the hands around the top, you start pulling them apart? Does the gyro flop at least start? You could help by blowing really hard!  ;)
Friction kills the spin. The setup I'm thinking is more lose so I'm hoping for less friction. But blowing hard won't hurt  ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 11:30:24 AM »

Unfortunately, my feasibility experiments of a fixed tip gyro flop were unsuccessful.  :'( The string produces too much friction during the flip, even with an "ideal" bind. Perhaps with a special tip, that has a long and very thin neck (and low friction string and thrown by Gus), it could be possible.  But I very much doubt it's possible with a regular tip.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 12:02:09 PM »

Too bad! I thought I could witness the deathblow to bearing tops!

Let me insist on that idea of the "mach5 setup". Gus and Attila seem to have the top spinning for at least about 3 seconds in that setup. If you now induce the torque that is needed not by pulling your hands apart, but by turning around fast on your heels? Does that make any sense?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 09:28:06 AM »

If you now induce the torque that is needed not by pulling your hands apart, but by turning around fast on your heels?
When I tried your idea using a bearing top I couldn't achieve a complete flip, just an inversion. Perhaps with more practice I could do it, but the flip would take too long for the fixed-tip top, I believe.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 04:40:09 PM »

... the flip would take too long for the fixed-tip top, I believe.
I have to experiment a bit myself tomorrow with a bearing top. Maybe yours is spinning too fast??? Should the flip not be faster the slower the top spins?

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 07:45:14 AM »

Texture,
  I sent you a PM regarding that yesterday.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 08:31:34 AM »

Flop with fixed tip??!  How about a ballbearing string? :-)