iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tips for 3D printing tips?  (Read 634 times)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Tips for 3D printing tips?
« on: November 08, 2022, 03:52:03 AM »

For the YYF ELEC-Trick (bearing version!) I find it hard to find replacement plastic tips. If anybody could point me to a place where I could get some that would be nice (the only source I found was a "upgrade and replacement set" that costs 10$ plus shipping plus taxes and has only one of those tips included. I can get the whole top for less.).

Since we have a 3D printer and I found this on thingiverse, I thought that might be a good solution for me. But I do not have much experience with 3D printing and the materials used. My son printed some tips in PETG with that file, but they are not stable, they break a lot faster still then the original tips.
So, my question is: Which other materials is it worth trying to print a tip with?

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Tips for 3D printing tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 09:59:01 AM »

It's great that somebody posted on Thingiverse a specific file for printing this tip.

I have tried ABS and only got marginally stronger parts than with PETG. I believe Nylon would give you stronger parts but I haven't tried it.  You need to keep Nylon filament dry (it absorbs ambient humidity) or it will affect the printing.

Edit: I see it was Joel Norris who posted the file (he is a member of this forum).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 10:04:50 AM by ta0 »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 12:17:27 PM »

Keeping the filament dry would not be a problem, my son recently had me buy him a specific accessory for his printer for that task since the other materials he has also need to be kept dry.

But thanks for finding out that Joel who posted the file is also a member here. I will PM him my question.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 01:54:28 AM »

Salut ortwin

Its this plastic tip which is very brittle
probably because of the 2 thin bits that slide into the top

You could try to improve the durability of the tip by putting a thin layer of cyanolite or epoxy glue,then let dry and pray >:D

Good day

Jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 11:05:36 AM »

Personally I would just swap out the plastic tip with the metal tip from the upgrade kit, since it’s much more durable of course.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 04:10:47 PM »

"Metal tips not compatible with Short Circuit spin top"

...it says on the YYF we site. And that is correct. Have a look at this post plus the links ta0 provides in the post in reply to that.

And, as I said before, I like having the plastic tip for indoor play to go easy on our floors and walls and furniture. The original tip is not really very brittle, it lives for a while but of course it happens that it eventually breaks. It would be cool to be able to get like 10 of those original tips for like $10. I think you can buy the fixed replacement tips like that. Maybe I just buy some more of those and give them to Mr. H ( my man with the lathe) to modify them to fit in a C type bearing. I wonder what he will charge me per tip for the modification.....

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 04:14:31 PM »

In your first post you said you were looking for tips for the yoyofactory Elek-trick, right? Also the metal tip in the upgrade kit isn’t sharp by any means, so it would be easy on floors.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 04:46:18 PM »

In your first post you said you were looking for tips for the yoyofactory Elek-trick, right? Also the metal tip in the upgrade kit isn’t sharp by any means, so it would be easy on floors.
Yes I guess I said Elek-trick. But the tips are interchangeable regarding their dimensions at least. At the moment I have my last unbroken plastic bearing  tip in a "short circuit" with a hybrid ( ceramic/steel) bearing. Works great for me!
I'll give the metal tip another try in the Elec-trick. My experience so far is, that it is not easy on the floors, but then again now I do not drop it as often as a few month ago.....