iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Aussie Member  (Read 5877 times)

ozitopper

Aussie Member
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:08:01 AM »

Okay guys I am in Australia and a renewed top fan.  We don't have the following that seems to exist everywhere else, but I'd like to change that!

So I reckon with the idea of baby steps, I'll start the ball rolling.

My husband, 17yr old and 15 yr old sons and my brother are all mad top enthusiasts, but our collection (of only 6 tops) went astray when we moved years ago :-(

I would be really keen to secure some of your tops and strings.  I'm thinking as a teacher, that I'd also like to introduce top spinning at school.   

I've been looking everywhere and have narrowed my search to here.

I only have some really nasty "bust when they land" kinda tops at the moment, I have just brought a couple of vintage Ampol Boron tops but would like to have a good collection to have on hand. 

Can you give me some advice?  Aus $ and maybe postage/shipping to Australia?
Looking forward to hearing back from you
Karen
:-)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:52:17 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Aussie Member
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:40:35 AM »

Yea!!!  Another woman on this forum.  Yippeee!!!  Another woman who wants to buy tops.  I'm hoping I can cheer a third time if she says she wants to throw, too. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:52:31 PM by ta0 »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ozitopper

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:53:41 AM »

lol Of Course!  I'm not just wanting them to look at... Sadly like I said we have the crappiest tops that are being held together with electrical tape, simply because there just "ain't" any others around.   

It was my kids about 12 years ago who got us all addicted.  When they were little fellas they watched the movie "My Summer Story" and the whole concept of the "Killer Top"  and the competition of brothers took a hold of them and our family.

Every Thursday, we held our own tournament (was also good excuse to get the whole family together for a meal) and spent many hours laughing, practising, laughing and laughing.

The kids bought model car paints (they were only 3 and 5 at the time) and decorated their own Killer Tops.  Somewhere along the journey of life they were put away for safe keeping and we've looked high and low but never been able to find them :-(

I finally tracked 1 fello down in Queensland who makes wooden ones.  He also had some plastic ones and thats what we've got as his hand mades were way too expensive for us. 

So thats my story, lol but yes I certainly do love to throw a top....who dosen't?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:52:46 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »

Welcome to the board, Karen!

The other lady on the board, Catherine a.k.a. SpinQueen or csam, is also a teacher and had lots of success getting her kids to throw tops (although after a couple of years they seem to have moved on to other interests).

I will look up what is the cost of shipping some Mexican tops to Australia. You may want to consider also ordering from Spintastics (www.spintastics.com).

Australia has manufactured some spintop throw-tops over the years, such the Moose magnetop. The Werrd yo-yo company has shown prototypes of some high-end aluminum tops. There is also a guy who makes (for himself) tops that can spin for over one hour!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:53:01 PM by ta0 »

ozitopper

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »

Excellent!  Thanks  :D

I've sent off an email to the two you've mentioned. 
I've just checked exchange rate and we're pretty close  $ 4 $ at the moment.
So.......can you send me 2 postage prices?  Say one for 10 tops and one for 20 tops? 
That way I can get the kids at school started and build it up from there.

I dont suppose you know the guy who makes them for himself??
I have only found one guy (Martin Ralph)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:53:36 PM by ozitopper »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:39:23 AM »

I will send you a PM (check the My Messages tab) with the cost.

Sorry, I made a mistake about the guy who makes the extra-long spin spintops. The hemisphere was correct by the continent wasn't: Tony Stein is from South Africa.  :-[

If you find something about Werrd's plans, please share them with us.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »

Sadly, I see I missed Australia Day yesterday (Jan. 26).  It could have been a fun day with my Australian tops, if only I had some.  It could have been fun with some Australians on this board, if only we had some.  Maybe I am totally wrong and there are some good Aussies here I know nothing about.  If so, a Vegemite sandwich to ya, mate!!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:59:50 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:51:56 AM »

welcome Karen

My Summer Story is considered as a cult film in the brotherhood of spintop enthusiasts ;D
looking forward to follow your project at school and at home

cheers

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »

Karen,
Perhaps shipping from Japan is cheaper
http://spingear.jp
They sell these brands: Strummol8, Space Spintop(China),     Spintastics(Spintop) ,     YoYoFactory(Spintop)
Also they sell traditional Japanese tops (Koma) that throw and play in totally different ways.
Welcome to the forum.
Kirk

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »

welcome Karen

My Summer Story is considered as a cult film in the brotherhood of spintop enthusiasts ;D
looking forward to follow your project at school and at home

cheers

jim

Karen,
Perhaps shipping from Japan is cheaper
http://spingear.jp
They sell these brands: Strummol8, Space Spintop(China),     Spintastics(Spintop) ,     YoYoFactory(Spintop)
Also they sell traditional Japanese tops (Koma) that throw and play in totally different ways.
Welcome to the forum.
Kirk

guys.....this was like 7 years ago  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 11:15:16 PM »

Yes, sadly this is an old thread.  But, it sure feels great to dream a bit and hope maybe some Aussies will come back and join us.  If one ever does, this information will be here waiting for them.

I hope someone joins the forum before I cark it.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 12:05:09 AM »

Yes, sadly this is an old thread.  But, it sure feels great to dream a bit and hope maybe some Aussies will come back and join us.  If one ever does, this information will be here waiting for them.

I hope someone joins the forum before I cark it.

they have!!!! that TopEd guy!!!! yes its true he is from le canada but hes been down there awhile eh, gotta count for something ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »

Actually, there are several Aussies on the board. The mates may not be very talkative, but I know for a fact that some check this board regularly.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 10:03:43 PM »

That's good to know, but it is hard to celebrate Australia Day by myself. 

Be loud and be proud you Australian spinners.  We love you!!!