iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Turkey Tops  (Read 3063 times)

Zeemo

• Gold Member
  • Zeemo The Magnificent
    • Zeemo Production
Turkey Tops
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »

Last summer my sister was in Istanbul, Turkey and bought three tops for me.  I include a photo of them with one wrapped for throwing and I included a Monarch Top for a reference.  They cost about $2 US and of course you can bargain for less.  They all have a decoration saying "I love you".

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4710965&id=160462257232

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4710964&id=160462257232

Here is some info on tops in Turkish culture -
Turkish Children's Games

The Objects Used in Games:

"The objects used in games and children's toys furnish another aspect of the subject. Toys in the villages are almost unknown except for a few homemade objects. The most common toys in the rural areas of Anatolia are tops. The author has recorded more than seventy names for tops in Anatolia. There are also contest games played with tops. For instance, in a game called Tuka, Dozdoz, or Domuz, one contestant tries to hit the other's spinning top with his own and drive it out of the game area."

Sounds like spikesey or battletop to me.

Complete Text Below -
http://www.turkishculture.org/pages.php?ChildID=750&ParentID=12&ID=59&ChildID1=750

Here is a tourist video I found showing some men spinning the tops in a tourist area.

Peg Tops are very popular in several areas of Turkey.  I have a turkish friend who is trying to get some for me as well as video of kids playing with them.  I hope to post that here soon.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:55:07 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Turkey Tops
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »

Those tops are of the type that remains attached to a pivot on the crown after throwing them. Around the 1930's attached tops were call "girl tops" in the US. It would be great to see what games they can play with them. Thanks for posting!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45:44 AM »

Those are some nifty gifts.  Thanks for sharing them with us, Zeemo.  I had no idea that there was that much interest in top spinning in Turkey.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 03:33:38 PM »

It's always nice to see girls playing:

These are like peg tops, but without a crown and in an egg shape:

Not the best aim but they are great at the big scoop   :D

Topaç means top, and Topaç Çevirme is spinning top.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 10:01:23 PM »

The tops in the second video I have seen for sale on eBay a bunch of times. It's cool to see kids actually spinning them!  :D