iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No way I'm going topless  (Read 898 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
No way I'm going topless
« on: February 14, 2022, 01:36:16 PM »

The good news: About to leave for 2 months in warm and sunny La Jolla, CA (near San Diego), a block from the beach and 30 minutes from LEGOLAND!  :)

The bad news: No room for LEGO in the car in either direction. :-\

So we're taking our good handcuffs to keep me from buying anything at LEGOLAND.

However, going LEGOless doesn't mean going topless...

Plan to learn some tricks with the throwing tops on the left. Also bringing a few of my favorite finger tops, LEGO and otherwise.

Some of these strings should work...

PS: Goal is to learn tricks before ortwin does. >:D

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 01:48:33 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: No way I'm going topless
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 02:21:47 PM »

Two month should give you plenty of time to beat me!
I do not expect the next two month the weather to be good enough to enjoy practicing often outside. And I am still too scared of my abilities to practice insde.
Maybe we could specify a specific trick that we go for. Whoever of the two of us is posting a video of the performance first, gets to be invited by the other one at Marines next year to a bottle of champagne. What do you think? I propose the trick to be a boomerang followed by a kind of wire walker or whatever you call that, from the one hand to the other. Until the end of this year one of us should be able to do it, not?

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 02:36:31 PM »

Interesting contest, but this is a hang loose kind of trip.

Good luck with your training. I also had lessons from some of the best at Marines 2019. But alas, I didn't practice enough thereafter to make it stick.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 03:42:14 PM »

Eons ago I went to a meeting in La Jolla. Beautiful place. I will always regret saving my employer money by not going to the official hotel of the conference which was in front of the beach.  :'(
I have found that beaches and tops are not the best combination: the sand gets into tip bearings, wet string doesn't work and wind messes up with tricks. Still, I have tried it many times and probably will continue to do it.

Ortwin's challenge implies that he is going back to Marines next year: yeah!  :)

Boomerang plus wire walker is a good goal with fixed tip. With bearing tip it could be boomerang plus pole dancer, which is easy but flashy and good to show your friends.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 04:47:59 PM »

I can’t resist bragging that I learned boomerang to wirewalker within about two weeks after I got my first plastic spintop.  :D

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 05:19:24 PM »

@Texture: that means I have about 9 days to beat you! - plus one day for every year of our age difference, that would put me in a comfortable position. -
But no, it won't work, I have an excuse: as ta0 pointed out it can't work with a bearing top, I have to look up that "pole dancer" trick he is mentioning. At the moment I associate something very different with "pole dancers". You know what I mean, Jeremy?

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 09:39:18 PM »

I can’t resist bragging that I learned boomerang to wirewalker within about two weeks after I got my first plastic spintop.  :D

Then you're a lot more coordinated than I am. Skill toys and I generally don't get along.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 11:00:53 AM »

...I have to look up that "pole dancer" trick he is mentioning. At the moment I associate something very different with "pole dancers". You know what I mean, Jeremy?

Yes, but for the record, I gave up pole dancing due to a bad knee.

For those not in on the joke, ortwin coined the term "pole dancers" for high-CM, high TMI/AMI tops with ball tips like these...

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 01:18:45 PM »

For those not in on the joke, ortwin coined the term "pole dancers" for high-CM, high TMI/AMI tops with ball tips like these...
Actually, it's a string trick and I coined the name in English. We first saw the trick on videos of demonstrators from Mexico and it was called "Los Voladores de Paplanta" in reference to a traditional indigenous dance from Veracruz. But then we found a video by a kid that named it Teibolera, what is a term used for "table dancers" over there. So I proposed Pole Dancer and Neff seconded me. Here is the trick done by Jim:

And here is me doing the trick in front of the real thing (well, for tourists) but in Yucatan.