iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gyroscope Kit  (Read 1849 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Gyroscope Kit
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 01:31:06 PM »

Hey Jeremy... Did you know ninja lego spintops? (sure you did)
Thanks for sharing! Familiar with older Ninjago spintoy sets but not this one. And I really want some of the new parts I'm seeing here -- especially that hollow orange cone serving as rotor.

The video below starts with a top made from the taller, narrower hollow cones released several years ago. With smaller-radius ball tips, these can make fun 45-second finger tops with little wobble and interesting spin-down behaviors.

The new shorter, wider cone should lead to longer spin times via lower center of mass and larger axial moment of inertia.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 01:33:42 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Wire walker reimagined
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 01:45:20 PM »

Well, technically a wire roller...

Follow-up video showing this rolling LEGO gyro in more detail. Can't wait to experiment with this mechanism when my LEGO workshop is once again operational.

No accident that he chose to stack those big yellow rings, as they have the largest AMI per unit mass available in the LEGO realm. Here they are again with the lightest, lowest-drag suspension I could muster:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 01:52:39 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up