iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recommendation for a good starter lathe?  (Read 3706 times)

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Re: Recommendation for a good starter lathe?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2021, 01:14:55 PM »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2021, 02:13:37 PM »

Woke up early and turned my first successful spin top on the lathe
Plays fairly well and weighs around 150 grams.

Congratulations!

I much prefer oversized tips than undersized.

Christop

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »

Woke up early and turned my first successful spin top on the lathe
Plays fairly well and weighs around 150 grams.

Congratulations!

I much prefer oversized tips than undersized.

The tips are still a struggle for me since I'm only really ok at using/sharpening gouges and the diamond parting tool so far and getting details on a small piece of delrin is tough. I cleaned up the shape of the tip by hand with some sandpaper and it's a little cleaner now than in the pictures and actually comes to a point.

Christop

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2021, 07:59:29 PM »

Went back out there this afternoon and made a big brother to the earlier top. I can tell it'll likely work but I don't have a rope that can spin it. Are there any ropes you can buy in stores for these bigger ones or do I need to build a jig for making 4 or 6 strand string before I can use this?

It's 400 grams, lol

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2021, 08:34:44 PM »

I can tell it'll likely work but I don't have a rope that can spin it. Are there any ropes you can buy in stores for these bigger ones or do I need to build a jig for making 4 or 6 strand string before I can use this?

What is the diameter? For thick rope I like to use mason line, but the thicker kind can only be found online.

This might work:
https://www.amazon.com/T-W-Evans-Cordage-02-729-Number-72/dp/B00DKA3A2C
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:23:41 PM by ta0 »

Christop

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2021, 09:02:27 PM »

I can tell it'll likely work but I don't have a rope that can spin it. Are there any ropes you can buy in stores for these bigger ones or do I need to build a jig for making 4 or 6 strand string before I can use this?

What is the diameter? For thick rope I like to use mason line, but the thicker kind can only be found online.

This might work:

Looks like it's just under 4 inches in diameter
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:23:52 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2021, 07:34:19 PM »

This might work:

Well, one of the eight reviews for that cordage is:

=========

=========

:o  :)

I'm amazed to see a reviewer that explicitly mentions its use for tops!
Gorilla711 could be a nickname for Alan Gray (he swears by Gorilla Glue) although I would be surprised if he collects rustic crosses.

They all gave it a 5/5 score.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:37:59 PM by ta0 »

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2021, 08:24:23 AM »

I have been away from the forum for some time, busy with life as they say. But I am still throwing and making spintops/strings almost every week.

I really enjoyed reading your lathe journey and figuring out making spintops. Tons of fun for sure!

I have been making them quite a bit over the past couple of years, and I did make a video about making a professional level spintop out of delrin. Check it out here: (I have a quite a few videos on making spintops, check out the spintop playlist for more videos.)

I also make my own strings. (K'nex string maker method.) I have found you need to use 12-16 strands for a 4" top.

I make and sell the strings, if you care to check that out, I sell from my website.

http://www.dazzlingdave.com/store/spintopstring.html

Have fun!

Dave

Bill Wells

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2021, 12:17:57 AM »

I can tell it'll likely work but I don't have a rope that can spin it.

Christop, I know this might not be what you are looking for, but I spin massive tops using an electric drill, or a Dremel. This way you can check the spin, tip, and balance. You will need some way for the bit on the drill to engage the center of the top.
Good luck with this.
Bill
It's not worth doing if you're not obsessed about it.

Christop

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2021, 03:03:56 AM »

I have been away from the forum for some time, busy with life as they say. But I am still throwing and making spintops/strings almost every week.

I really enjoyed reading your lathe journey and figuring out making spintops. Tons of fun for sure!

I have been making them quite a bit over the past couple of years, and I did make a video about making a professional level spintop out of delrin. Check it out here: (I have a quite a few videos on making spintops, check out the spintop playlist for more videos.)

I also make my own strings. (K'nex string maker method.) I have found you need to use 12-16 strands for a 4" top.

I make and sell the strings, if you care to check that out, I sell from my website.

http://www.dazzlingdave.com/store/spintopstring.html

Have fun!

Dave

Your videos actually encouraged me to seek out a lathe, so thanks. I've got a couple sections of 3" diameter delrin that I plan to turn once I know I've got it down, but pieces of the oak tree in my yard is way cheaper for practice. Thanks for all the information!

I can tell it'll likely work but I don't have a rope that can spin it.

Christop, I know this might not be what you are looking for, but I spin massive tops using an electric drill, or a Dremel. This way you can check the spin, tip, and balance. You will need some way for the bit on the drill to engage the center of the top.
Good luck with this.
Bill

This is actually very helpful! I'll try this after I reshape the big top.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 09:38:14 AM by ta0 »