iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rubik Top (Hybrid Toy Project)  (Read 15868 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Rubik Top (Hybrid Toy Project)
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2022, 10:22:01 AM »

Ah ta0, maybe you did not solve the puzzle at all ! Maybe you just played a prank on us!How can you prove that you did not just film a video of yourself scrambling it and then posted the reverse version of that video???
He, he . . . I was going to give you one day to figured it out. Yes, I did play it backwards  >:D  >:D  >:D
If I could solve it, I would have started with a proper spintop but with the colors scrambled.
As I told you before, in two occasions 20 years apart, I found (not very efficient) solution algorithms by myself. But both times I forgot them afterwards. Now that I have this Rubik top I need to be able to do it again. I'm very tempted to now just learn the standard ones. I'm taking a 2 week vacation starting next week and going to Uruguay, so I'm thinking I will take a cube with me.

MrYo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2022, 05:51:30 PM »

I need one!

P Sidgman R

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2022, 06:33:07 PM »

I love the ta0 version, it has a nice color combination :D.

Thanks so much for sharing a video and photos :).

Again, if you want the file just write to my mail (sidgman1996@hotmail.com)

I will be working on another design later this year ;).

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2022, 05:38:20 AM »

Now that I have this Rubik top I need to be able to do it again. I'm very tempted to now just learn the standard ones. I'm taking a 2 week vacation starting next week and going to Uruguay, so I'm thinking I will take a cube with me.
@ta0: I hope you have the cube with you and you are going to find your own algorithms again.
Please have a look at the attached article "How to solve almost any Rubik-like puzzle".
It is not a spoiler but it can enable you to find your algorithms faster.
The page does not seem to exist on the net any longer. Luckily I printed it almost 20 years ago and I still found those sheets of paper and could put them on our scanner.

I hope your mother is doing well and you can be of help to her.

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2022, 02:04:57 PM »

Thanks a lot ortwin for scanning and sharing those pages. One of my favorite math youtubers, "Mathologer" (a German Professor working in Australia), has a video about the same thing. But he published it six years ago, before I started to follow him, and only recently I stumbled into it:

Yeah, this trick should greatly speed up finding solutions.  :)

When I used to solve the Rubik cube by layers, I didn't care about scrambling the cubes that I was going to arrange on the following steps. However, the trick on the video always keeps the rest of the cube fixed. So I suspect the algorithms one gets might be even less efficient than the ones I got before. But it could be applied to either solving by layers or by edges then corners, or a combination of those.

I think that even if one is proficient with the standard cube, the spintop twist puzzle will provide an extra challenge. We will see.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2022, 05:05:27 PM »

Here is a boomerang:

You can see how the pieces open up when it's spinning due to centrifugal force. No, it still has no springs.

P Sidgman R

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2022, 07:18:04 AM »

Really cool, I love your colorful version.
Thanks for sharing your video :D!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »

Here is another color pattern possible with the same colored pieces:

It has the appeal that the pattern has symmetry in the axial direction. But now the colors are split in two. Perhaps this pattern should be painted with 6+1 colors, instead of 3+1. So every center would have it's own color, like in the original cube.
Compared to the original pattern, there is a rotation of three centers, three corners and three edges, what I believe it's possible to achieve by puzzle moves.

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2022, 04:38:58 PM »

Este avance es bastante bueno gran trabajo saludos

HYDRUS17R

• ITSA
    • La page sur les toupies de mon site web bdc-henri.fr
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2022, 11:30:38 AM »

Bonjour TA0 et Patricio, tout d’abord merci pour les échanges de fichiers avec Patricio que je remercie pour ses efforts pour tenter de solutionner mon problème de fichier endommagé.

Maintenant que j’ai tous les fichiers, j’ai fait travailler l’imprimante pour un prototype.

Pour ce premier modèle, j’ai utilisé du PLA en 0.2 densité 50.

Vis 3 mm x 16 mm type tôle tête ronde.

Pas encore de ressort, je vais sans doute cannibaliser un ancien RUBIK.

Les différents éléments sont tout chaud.

Je me suis lancé dans l’assemblage. Alors là il est important de ne pas avoir deux mains gauches (pour les droitiers bien sûr).

Et bien sûr je suis bloqué, il y a une pièce que je ne peux pas mettre en place. Je n’ai sans doute pas commencé comme il faut.

Il doit y avoir une façon de faire

Pouvez-vous me conseiller.

Bravo Patricio pour cette belle création.

TA0, mes félicitations pour ton modèle, on voit bien sur la vidéo l’effet de la force centrifuge qui devrait être contrôlée par la mise en place des ressorts.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2022, 12:37:49 PM »

Nice print, Hydrus!
That's an interesting color scheme. As equivalent pieces have the same color, it should be as easy (or difficult) to solve as an uncolored puzzle, but it's much prettier.

Et bien sûr je suis bloqué, il y a une pièce que je ne peux pas mettre en place. Je n’ai sans doute pas commencé comme il faut.
Il doit y avoir une façon de faire
He, he. That's how I assemble it. I just push hard to put that last piece in. Because it has no springs, I had to let the screws of the adjacent centers looser, what makes the puzzle less compact. My current print has the core made of a semi-flex material, as well as a center base, so I can set the screws a little tighter and still have enough play to push that piece in. It would be nice if the cap centers were press-in instead of slide-in: we would be able to tighten the screws after assembling it. I might make this modification in the future.

HYDRUS17R

• ITSA
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2022, 02:26:38 PM »

Merci pour les infos, je vais revoir mon montage.

Je me suis fait la même remarque pour les pièces centrales, je vais réfléchir  une modification pour clipser la partie supérieure.

À suivre.

P Sidgman R

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2022, 12:42:16 PM »

These versions are much nicer than the one I have in gray  ;D

HYDRUS17R

• ITSA
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2022, 03:24:32 PM »

J’ai modifié quelques-uns des fichiers de Patricio pour faciliter l’assemblage et insérer les ressorts.

Durée de l’assemblage 1h20 minutes, avec éjection de plusieurs pièces à deux reprises, et donc reprise pratiquement au début.

Merci à Patricio pour son magnifique travail et son partage.

HYDRUS17R

• ITSA
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2022, 03:27:30 PM »

Les pièces et l'assemblage final.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up