iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1980s Duncan Instructional Video - Featuring Tom Parks  (Read 477 times)

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
1980s Duncan Instructional Video - Featuring Tom Parks
« on: July 01, 2021, 10:46:59 PM »

I was browsing the internet when I came upon a commercial from Duncan showing off their yoyos and spin tops. At the end, they showed a thing explaining that they had an instructional video about yoyos AND tops. Well, I found that video. Here it is: (the tops stuff is at 45:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1gv16avUqI&ab_channel=AlexMarshall

I didn't really like what he had to say about wooden tops. He should take a look at the Columbians' stuff.  :P Also some of the tricks had oddish names.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 12:47:36 AM by Texture »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: 1980s Duncan Instructional Video - Featuring Tom Parks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 12:26:18 AM »

Great find!  8)

Tom Parks himself commented on the youtube video 6 years ago:
Alex, Thank you very much for posting my video.  Heard about if from my daughter Nanci.  The tape was made in 1987 at WVTV Milwaukee.  I grew up in Queens, NYC and learned yo-yo there. Learned spinning tops later while working for Duncan  Worked as a Duncan demonstrator part time when they promoted in the NY area, from 1960 to the late 90's.  Was a lot of fun including TV appearances and other entertainment venues.  I taught school on Long Island for 34 years and am now retired in Glastonbury, CT.  I visit with the Duncan people at the NY Toy Fair most years.  You might enjoy the DVD Heritage, The Duncan Yo-Yo Story, in which they relate the entire history including interviews with many demonstrators including myself.  It is available from Duncan, or if I learned how, I could put it on You Tube, but might get in copyright trouble. Yo-Yo's and tops have passed me by with the advent of ball bearings which increase the spin time and make for amazing tricks.
Thanks again for posting the video.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: 1980s Duncan Instructional Video - Featuring Tom Parks
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 12:30:09 PM »

Yes!  Very neat.  I am enjoying working my way through it.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!