iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The komas of Yasushi Fukushima  (Read 791 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
The komas of Yasushi Fukushima
« on: June 14, 2021, 01:55:29 PM »

An important and prolific Edo Koma maker who learned his trade from the Hiroi brothers is Yasushi Fukushima (福島保). Born in 1947, he starting making komas around 1970. I found a site today with his tops, including contact info. Here is a gallery of his creations: link.

He signs his creations with this mark on the bottom:

I've got a medium size kyokugoma and an Edo koma from him.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 06:44:44 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: The komas of Yasushi Fukushima
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 03:00:16 PM »

Love Edo Koma in general, and this artist's work in particular. Below are several from the gallery that caught my eye.

Classic koma shape in one of my favorite color schemes...

Self-balancing tops fascinate me. Already scheming to make a LEGO knock-off of this one...

Not sure what this one has to do with swinging, but love the unconventional paint job...
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 03:50:10 PM »

Not sure what this one has to do with swinging, but love the unconventional paint job...
I see that your app tried to automatically translate the captions. It did pretty well, as sometimes it's automatically translated as pretend koma.  ;D
That is a furikoma (振り独楽 / ふりこま) = swing top. These are the largest of the kyokugoma (曲独楽) = acrobatic tops, which are the tops used in classic Japanese performances.
That one in particular is among the largest of the largest, at 39 cm (15 inches) diameter. Unfortunately, I read on an auction of somebody selling another furikoma from Mr. Fukushima, that he "hasn't made furikomas in years because there are no more good trees in Japan". I was very fortunate to recently get from Jim Neff one made by Masaaki Hiroi (1 foot in diameter). These tops can be started by swinging them in the hand, so perhaps that is the origin of the name.

Classic koma shape in one of my favorite color schemes..
Here the automatic translation failed. The diameter is 11 cm and it's made for the sword trick. This kyokugoma is a hawatari (刃渡り) koma = blade crossing koma. I have an unsigned one that I got from Don Olney.

The three kyokugomas in one picture that I posted above are itowatari (糸渡り) komas = thread crossing komas, for wire walking tricks. I have one from Mr. Fukushima that I got on an auction from Japan. The paint quality is the best I've seen on a koma.

This is a nagekoma (投げ独楽) = throwing top:

I think this is the one that Taka uses and he sometimes lands on the edge of a fan.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 11:49:26 AM by ta0 »

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 06:02:11 PM »

These are certainly stunning designs.  I see that there are even ivory tops in the gallery, and even an ivory kendama! Never seen Japanese ivory tops before.  8)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »

ta0, thanks for all the names. One of each for my collection, please!

I think the green, black, and gold Hawatari koma is still my visual favorite for its harmony and elegance.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 01:10:49 PM »

There are a bunch of Edo komas by Fukushima from a collection on Yahoo Japan Auctions : Edo koma Yasushi Fukushima

Each egg (that is stored inside the hen) has a chic top. I think the head, beak and the wattle are also tops.

Two tippe tops on stilts:

Four or five tops in this drummer:

Not sure if this is a lighthouse or how many tops it has:

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 10:17:29 PM »

Clever!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!