iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: offset top  (Read 20389 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: offset top
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2024, 11:44:17 AM »

Well done Jeremy!
The offset is not gigantic but clearly visible.
Not clear to me. The centroid of a triangle is where the medians (segment between vertex and middle of opposite side) intersect. That tip looks really close.
In fact, why would it be offset? Besides the triangle, you only have a bar divided in two by the tip: to me that's the geometric center of the top and I wouldn't call it offset.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 12:18:01 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: offset top
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2024, 02:04:09 PM »

Not clear to me. The centroid of a triangle is where the medians (segment between vertex and middle of opposite side) intersect. That tip looks really close.
In fact, why would it be offset? Besides the triangle, you only have a bar divided in two by the tip: to me that's the geometric center of the top and I wouldn't call it offset.

You're right, of course. But you're in the 2% of Americans who know (a) that triangles have centroids, and (b) where to look for the centroid — let alone (c) that any plane figure will spin smoothly about a perpendicular axis through its centroid.

For the rest, it's an offset top that looks like it shouldn't spin smoothly about any axis. >:D

So maybe it's more a pseudo-offset top. But in the end, all of the offset tops in this thread depend on tricking the average viewer into thinking that the maker put the spin axis in the wrong place.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 02:59:45 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up