iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Some New Beigoma designs.  (Read 648 times)

Joah

• Gold Member
Some New Beigoma designs.
« on: March 15, 2021, 01:49:40 PM »

Hi, All it's been quite a while since I posted last. I hope everyone is well and in good health.
Between work, school, and navigating the pandemic I've rarely had time to make tops :'( let alone spin them. Recently I had a few moments of creative space and came up with some new DIY diecast and clay beigoma.

Here is my Spoke design.

The idea with this one was to make it similar to the shorter style of beigoma. The idea was to sacrifice weight and spin time for attack and the ability to undercut the opposing top.

My Twin Shark design.

I like watching sharks, I find it relaxing. This beigoma takes its inspiration from the reef sharks circling around to get a better picture of their situation...I sanded this beigoma down so there would be more weight on one side causing the top to angle down and spin in concentric circles.

The Cartoon Shark

So the only things I can come close to drawing are sharks and some fish...I blame it on watching too much Discovery and Animal planet as a kid...I wanted to experiment with weight and kinetic transfer with this top. I made the striking surfaces twice as thick as the standard beigoma ring. This top when spun right hits hard like a thresher shark snapping its target.

Polymer Clay Beigoma

One of the things I hear a lot from new players is how hard it is to learn the string winding and launching technique. So to help teach this I wanted to make beigoma that had a surface that gripped the string better and was a bit larger. So far this has worked with the very limited population I've shared this with...hopefully when it's safe I will be able to teach more people how to play. With my current design, the clay beigoma can spin for 1:17:8 on smooth surfaces and 0:45:7 on canvas.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Some New Beigoma designs.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 06:55:57 PM »

Love the Twin Shark design!

Do the polymer clay beigoma ever chip on impact?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »

Very cool designs! I agree with you that beginners have a hard time winding the string; when I started it was a mess. ::) I like the idea of a larger surface that grips the string well to wind it, as it might make winding faster, as well as easier. Good work on everything!

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 02:40:39 PM »

Love the Twin Shark design!

Do the polymer clay beigoma ever chip on impact?
Thanks the Twin Shark is my favorite too. Once I get the casting a bit cleaner I will paint it and add resin. It depends on the brand of clay. The cheaper brands found in most stores definitely chips and even once shattered on impact...wish I had that on video...The best clay has been Sculpey Premo, which spins the longest, and hasn't chipped yet(30 or so battles). Other brands I've tested that haven't chipped have been Sculpey III and Craftsmart. Once I have the 3D printed mold complete I will post the files.

Joah

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:41:49 PM »

Very cool designs! I agree with you that beginners have a hard time winding the string; when I started it was a mess. ::) I like the idea of a larger surface that grips the string well to wind it, as it might make winding faster, as well as easier. Good work on everything!
Thanks! Once I have the 3D printed mold complete I will post the files.