iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bearing King Wobble  (Read 4898 times)

Zilla

• ITSA Jr.
Bearing King Wobble
« on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm a noob here so let me start off by asking a very nooby question. I have recently started learning spin top, but I can see myself getting addicted already. At the moment I only have a bearing king, It took a pretty nasty spill a couple of days ago and since then it has had some really nasty wobble/vibration and does not spin as long. I've looked at it pretty closely and there are no cracks or stress marks and the tip still seems to spin ok. I've already placed an order for a few new ones, including some spintastics, but since I'm in Australia the shipping can take weeks so, I'm hoping someone with more experience might be able to offer some advice so I can get back to it while i'm waiting. 

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Bearing King Wobble
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »

Welcome Zilla! You is in the right place, no question too noob.  You might have seen some of this stuff hunting around on the board, but here's some tips:

Have you balanced your top?  Re:  http://www.topspinning.com/tricks/balancing.ghtml
Even just testing the cap on one way versus the other can make a huge difference.
It's a little easier to balance a top with a fixed tip, but you can use the same process.

Also, be sure to tape your BK up!  Get some electrical tape, and tape the cap to the body.  I like to do two wraps and match the end seam to the start seam, stretching it only enough for the tape to contour to the curve of the top.  BK's will break easily if you don't tape it up.

Does the bearing spin freely when you flick it with your finger?  If not, your bearing might have gotten jammed up a little if you hit it really hard tip down, or ya might already have some dirt in the bearing.  Easiest way to clean the bearing is leave the top assembled, and put it tip down in a cup of mineral spirits (enough to cover the bottom inch of the top) and let it sit for a while.  If it's jammed... we'll talk some more   :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:35 PM »

Wow, what a great global community we have.  Welcome Zilla from Australia!!!  That is terrific to have someone with us from the land down under.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:13:02 PM »

Welcome Zilla!  Glad you found us.

If you haven't already tried, take the cap off (it twists off), pull out the rubber oring then re-seat it.  I'd bet this helps.

Cheers!
Erratic Wobbler

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:37:21 AM »

Sure, do it the easy way  ::)
Thanks, poptop... I forgot the BK's come with those o-rings.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:43:11 AM »

Alingn the two small deformities in the cap and in the body. Is the place the plastic was inyected. Tape this area with electrical tapes finishing in the same point as starting.

Sometimes the tip is irregular. There is a small bubble into the tip. If this bubble is irregular, the top would be  a wobble one.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

figs

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:47:06 AM »

Easiest way to clean the bearing is leave the top assembled, and put it tip down in a cup of mineral spirits (enough to cover the bottom inch of the top) and let it sit for a while.  If it's jammed... we'll talk some more   :)

Be careful using this method with a plastic top.  Mineral spirits can potentially damage the plastic.  Better off playing it safe and removing the bearing before cleaning.  you can find instructions on cleaning bearings by searching this board or some of the yoyo boards online.

mtntop

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »

Welcome to the board Zilla
you should also try just rotating the cap 180 degrees sometimes thats enough try it without the weight ring (thats how I play mine)
Spinning In Mind

Zilla

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:37:56 PM »

Thanks so much for all the advice. Neff: the link about balancing was super helpfull. I've come over to tops after playing yo-yo's for about 5 years (from now on known as the darkside), so one of the first things I did when it started to wobble was clean the bearings. But, turned out it was the o-ring, once I found the sweet spot it was more balanced than it had ever been.   

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »

welcome to the forum!

????o?? ?o ??? ?o?n?!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 09:41:54 AM »

;D  ;D  ;D

howdya get the upside-down text?

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »

http://textozor.com/

since i am 1/4 aussie, i shouldn't make such lame references, but i couldn't help myself.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:04:38 AM by agentsac »

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:38:26 AM »

Easiest way to clean the bearing is leave the top assembled, and put it tip down in a cup of mineral spirits (enough to cover the bottom inch of the top) and let it sit for a while.  If it's jammed... we'll talk some more   :)

Be careful using this method with a plastic top.  Mineral spirits can potentially damage the plastic.  Better off playing it safe and removing the bearing before cleaning.  you can find instructions on cleaning bearings by searching this board or some of the yoyo boards online.

removing the tip and swabbing it (the bearing) w/ a que tip covered in mineral spirits helps.

Put some light lube in later to prevent rust
Spin top is the new yo-yo