iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Coronavirus and top meetings  (Read 12677 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Coronavirus and top meetings
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2020, 11:51:53 PM »

Kathy just gave me my first quarantine haircut. Not sure who was more nervous.

But she did a pretty good job: No mullet, and coronavirus is still the main reason I can't go out. Better yet, didn't find any of these...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:17:32 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »

Kathy just gave me my first quarantine haircut. Not sure who was more nervous.
Better yet, didn't find any of these...

Ha! You must have lot's of free time to build lice on a redhead scalp (with some gray hairs) out of Lego!  :D
Thanks for the laugh!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2020, 02:28:09 PM »

Ha! You must have lot's of free time to build lice on a redhead scalp (with some gray hairs) out of Lego!  :D
Thanks for the laugh!

Spread laughs, not coronavirus, I always say! Ditto for lice.

Posted the head louse elsewhere last year as a joke in a very different context. Took an hour at most to build. Internet searches suggest that it could be the only LEGO head louse ever seen online -- a dubious distinction if ever there was one.

Hmmm, wonder if it would spin with the legs straight out to the sides?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:35:51 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2020, 01:13:52 AM »

Hmmm, wonder if it would spin with the legs straight out to the sides?

Yes, it will -- if lousy 3-second spins with lots of wobble count.

Finding a way to mount the blue ball tip almost exactly below the center of mass (CM) was something of a miracle, but no luck mounting a coaxial stem. So I just grasp the waist and give it a quick twist of the wrist. Sloppy releases are hard to avoid and no doubt contribute to the wobble. Pretty sure I could get longer, smoother spins with a decent stem to twirl.

Some of the wobble may also relate to the bug having bilateral but no rotational symmetry -- not even 2-fold. That and the elongated shape give it 3 very different central principal moments of inertia, with the axial moment through the CM and tip the largest, and the transverse moment along the midline, the smallest.

In my experience, smooth spins don't require perfect 3-fold or greater rotational symmetry about the intended spin axis, as you often read in textbooks. As long as you have dynamic balance about the spin axis, minor substructures of lesser symmetry will be tolerated. But we're nowhere near that here.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:35:47 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2020, 08:00:50 AM »

on the back side , it looks like a fishing boat  ;)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2020, 04:16:18 PM »

Priceless quote from a noted Emory University epidemiologist on the danger of having an adjacent state relax COVID restrictions too soon...

"It's like having a peeing section in a swimming pool."

For much of the world, surely applies to adjacent countries as well.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2020, 02:52:59 PM »

Yay, out of COVID quarantine in the basement!  :)

Wife understood why I couldn't pet her, but the poor dog took it personally.

I try not to wish harm on anyone, but  oh, the unspeakable atrocities I'd rain down on this &$@!#/% coronavirus (and certain willful human enablers) if only I could!

NSA, if you're listening, this is a fantasy, not a plan.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:40:36 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2020, 10:11:35 PM »

Yay, out of COVID quarantine in the basement!  :)
Great news!

PS1: Boris Johnson got it, Bolsonaro got it, we know who should come next.
PS2: NSA always listens so it can only hear white noise.  :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:13:49 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2020, 11:12:27 PM »

PS1: Boris Johnson got it, Bolsonaro got it, we know who should come next.

But Mr. Rogers is already dead!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2020, 07:05:03 PM »

A lot of the people around this hobby are in the hospitality and entertainment industries. As just an example, the biggest Mexican spintop company has stopped assigning work to all its demonstrators and doesn't even answer their telephone calls. Below is a post by Mark Hayward on Facebook that summarizes well the situation. Those of us who are not affected as hard by the pandemic, let's try to support them if we can.

============
By Mark Hayward 7/10/20
(Copied from a friend & edited to fit my life)

I have worked in the hospitality, attractions, and entertainment industry for over 30 years and have never been through anything like this.
Not 9/11 nor Hurricane Katrina nor the 2008 financial debacle had this multi billion dollar effect for so long with no end in sight.
Our industry was/is hit hard by COVID-19.
Broadway is closed until 2021.
Cirque du Soleil has filed for bankruptcy (debt restructuring) and cut 3500+ jobs..
Disney and Universal have massive furloughs and layoffs, as most future capital improvement projects have been put on hold, or scaled back drastically.
Cruise ship entertainers and production teams are out of work.
This country’s hotels are at the lowest occupancy and most of the sales teams and employees have been furloughed or laid-off.
Bartenders and Servers don’t have enough customers and tips to pay their bills. Valets and Bellmen too.
Our travel agent and tour operator friends cannot book trips.
Theme park productions have no idea when they will be recalled.
There are no concerts or touring productions.  The worldwide convention business has shriveled up.  Movie theaters are dark.
The film and television industry are completely stalled right now. (Enjoying the re-runs yet?)
Museums, who already run on low resources and funding, have no clear future in sight.
Performing arts organizations of all kinds — choirs, theatres, orchestras, dance companies — are all trying to figure out on a daily basis how to keep going and employ anyone they can in the field.
12,000,000 people in the US and $38 Billion per year industry cannot reopen until mass gatherings can happen again.
So when you see your hospitality and entertainment friends begging you to wear masks, understand that we are helplessly watching our industry crumble before our eyes because the country is doing so poorly at reducing the spread.
This *IS* personal for us. My closest friends and members of my extended family have LOST their jobs. Not just furloughed, terminated!
PLEASE wear your mask (over your mouth AND your nose). Practice social distancing (6ft or more, 15 while training & exercising). And wash your hands....

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2020, 12:51:03 AM »

Hey, did you guys know that Zoom offers an "Enhance my appearance" setting??

Just heard about it today on a family zoom. Could have been more a request than a tip, now that I think about it. But it really did made me look better: Smoother skin, whiter teeth, sexier smile, the works. Even smoothed over some of the rough spots in Quarantine Haircut #4. Also made my wife and the paint on the wall behind us look better. Now I'm wandering the house with the laptop "enhancing" everything in sight. This changes everything!

So far, it doesn't allow you to pick a new persona -- like Claude Van Damme with his shirt off.

But homemade deep fakes like that are just around the corner. Heaven help us then!  :o
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:57:49 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2020, 03:31:40 PM »

Hard to imagine a Zoom enhancer and a life of a gig performer.  There is an article in USA Today about gig workers shifting to new roles and challenges.  Sounds like grocery delivery service is a job that is getting a lot of activity.  I did not know Broadway was closed.  Cirque du Soleil filing for bankruptcy is shocking.  I feel for Mark as well as all our spinners in Mexico and elsewhere.  Ironically, our bike shop friend Rick is so swamped he is working overtime and has hired two more workers for his little shop.  Today I saw where his empty showroom floor was full of bikes again.  I thought he just received lots of new shipments.  No, they are all bikes that need to be repaired....there was no room in the back for all the bikes needing repair!!!  The world has turned upside down in so many ways!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:34:15 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2020, 03:03:23 PM »

Now the governor of Ohio has tested positive!!!  He was on his way to meet with Trump in Cleveland.  Hope everyone is safe out there in the spinning world.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2020, 11:43:58 PM »

One month later after my last post on this thread, I am here to announce that somehow I got the COVID-19 virus.  I kept sleeping on Monday but was up and ready to go on Tuesday.  I walked five miles but had a low grade fever and a bit of a sore throat.  Just to be safe I went to get tested.  I am pretty shocked about the whole thing.  I am just trying to piece everything together after the call from the clinic.

Hydrona

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2020, 12:42:02 AM »

One month later after my last post on this thread, I am here to announce that somehow I got the COVID-19 virus.  I kept sleeping on Monday but was up and ready to go on Tuesday.  I walked five miles but had a low grade fever and a bit of a sore throat.  Just to be safe I went to get tested.  I am pretty shocked about the whole thing.  I am just trying to piece everything together after the call from the clinic.

hi The Earl of Whirl,
I'm sure everything is going to be OK with you.
as you say: low grade fever and sore throat. you are luckely not on intensive care, thanks God!
but I would be shocked too, if I hear the test was positive. I'm worried about you,and to all people who are vulnerable.

please get well soon.

many warm greets,
hydrona
We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up