iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Boomerang spin top practice ! Succes!  (Read 8980 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Boomerang spin top practice ! Succes!
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2021, 02:21:35 PM »

today i thought: do it! try it!

well done ! :) :)
"you've got to make things happen"

go cat go !

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Hydrona

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2022, 06:10:01 AM »

A new video! This time trying out my acrylic pouring spin top. In my grandparents garden.
We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -

Hydrona

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2022, 08:17:08 AM »

Another video! The last one for today, but I've had fun ;D A boomerang and some swinging around!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2022, 12:03:30 PM »

That top has a really cool pattern as it's spinning. Great job, keep up the practice!

Hydrona

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2022, 01:11:48 PM »

That top has a really cool pattern as it's spinning. Great job, keep up the practice!
Thank you  :)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2022, 05:49:11 PM »

Boomerang spin top practice sounds like the right topic for my question.
How do I make my top spin faster and still land the boomerang?
With the plastic top (Bearing King?) Ludo gave to me at Marines this year, I can now do the boomerang and correct it after it lands.
The next problem I am facing is the low speed of the top. I managed to do the complete  "merry go round"  a few times already, but most of the times the top leans so much after going around three times, that it is impossible for me to return it in its spinning state to my hand. Only the few overhand boomerangs that landed well were fast enough so that I could complete the trick.
So my question to you is: where can I find a tutorial that teaches a fast (overhand) boomerang that is really useful for further tricks?

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2022, 06:47:14 PM »

Good job Hydrona! I like how the top looks and even more I like that you are playing it!

Ortwin: First of all, I have to ask you a question. Do you know if you got a Duncan Bearing King (or Ripcord if fixed tip) with the original string? I'm asking because Duncan always sold them with a string too short. One consequence of the short string length, besides changing the angle of the top coming back, is that you could not throw it hard because it would slip out. Everybody plays them with longer (or thicker) strings. The specific length depends on the string thickness, but the wrap when you wind it should get to one or two turns from the end of the rougher finish on the body (i.e. 3rd groove away from the tip).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 11:53:55 PM by ta0 »

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2022, 07:20:35 PM »

Boomerang spin top practice sounds like the right topic for my question.
How do I make my top spin faster and still land the boomerang?
With the plastic top (Bearing King?) Ludo gave to me at Marines this year, I can now do the boomerang and correct it after it lands.
The next problem I am facing is the low speed of the top. I managed to do the complete  "merry go round"  a few times already, but most of the times the top leans so much after going around three times, that it is impossible for me to return it in its spinning state to my hand. Only the few overhand boomerangs that landed well were fast enough so that I could complete the trick.
So my question to you is: where can I find a tutorial that teaches a fast (overhand) boomerang that is really useful for further tricks?

If you have the correct length of string, to get it to spin faster you just need to throw it a bit harder. Like tao said, the ripcords and BKs came with string that is useable, but a bit short, making it hard to throw it hard.

Hydrona

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2022, 10:25:02 AM »

Thanks Ta0!
I'm happy that I can practice outside again!
@ortwin good luck to you!

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2022, 11:31:49 AM »

... Do you know if you got a Duncan Bearing King (or Ripcord if fixed tip) with the original string? ....... Everybody plays them with longer (or thicker) strings. The specific length depends on the string thickness, but the wrap when you wind it should get to one or two turns from the end of the rougher finish on the body (i.e. 3rd groove away from the tip).

Thank you ! Yes, string length seems to do the trick! I do not think any longer that it is an original Duncan top. At least it has not Duncan written on it as I saw in pictures of a Duncan BK. Also the body does not have that rougher finish in part. This is what mine looks like:

The wrap with the string I originally got, went only to the second grove. I changed it to a longer one - about 25 cm longer. Now the wrap goes almost to the third grove, and the boomerang comes back with quite some additional RPMs it feels. The "merry go round" is now possible although I have to get a bit accustomed to the way I need to throw now so that success rate of the boomerang is high enough again.

I will also experiment with a shorter string, maybe I succeed in the boomerang technique were you throw more downward than sideways.
Thanks again ta0 and Texture for the valuable information! I played  bit with string length before, but only changing it maybe by 5 cm.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2022, 12:06:44 PM »

Thank you ! Yes, string length seems to do the trick!

Great!  :)

It's a shame that the wrong string length that comes with Duncan tops has frustrated players for 2 decades. Who knows how many would-be players we have lost because of it  :'(

But the top you have is not an original Duncan top but a knock-off, most likely from China. Or perhaps from Ludo's friend in India. I believe there is even a Mexican copycat. There are even some fake Duncan's that include the brand name. This is an original:

What is hilarious, is that the copycats even copied the defective design of the "magic" winding groove on the crown (something that Duncan patented in the 1960's). I started to complain directly to Duncan people about the groove when they started making it over 20 years ago (and probably since 10 years ago about the string length), but they never did anything. That's why I don't hold Duncan in high regards concerning their contribution to the modern spintop (even though I have a pretty complete collection of their vintage tops).

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2022, 04:33:31 PM »

I think I have to switch to practicing outdoors now, with the nice wooden top that Rocco made for me in Marines.
Not that I can do everything now what I wanted to do with the Bearing King knock off! No, it is because I finally managed to break the plastic  tip of that top!
I was trying to do another boomerang but the string did not properly release the top. So it first hit the ceiling and left a dent and after that it crushed to the stone floor. That is probably when the tip broke off.
Does that sound plausible? I must mention that I was wondering already over the last few days how such a little plastic top can take so much abuse and survive so many hard crashes without breaking. Oh well, now I managed!
My guess is, that part of the string got caught in between the (bearing-)tip and the body of the top when I wound it up, that is why it did not release properly.
I don't seem to be able to get a plastic replacement tip fast around here. So I will check if I can find some other top with bearing and a plastic tip. But at the same time I will start throwing that fixed tip wooden top outside.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2022, 05:25:33 PM »

That’s pretty unfortunate that the tip broke! If you decide to get a new bearing top I would suggest one with a metal tip, since they are much more durable.  :)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »

That’s pretty unfortunate that the tip broke! If you decide to get a new bearing top I would suggest one with a metal tip, since they are much more durable.  :)

I definetly  need one with plastic tip (plus spare tips) for playing in my flat!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2022, 07:39:20 PM »

Yes and Yes.

Learning and refining the boomerang:
I still remember watching a video of a Spanish kid (Javier??) years ago. His boomerangs came back in a high arc and landed perfectly vertical.   I was just learning to boomerang at the time and thought the vertical landing was impossible.  Now I can do it, but I can't describe what I changed in my throw.
On the other hand I would give up on a throw that came back point first. (impossible to catch!)  Then I saw my friend Rolando throw.  His throws always came back fast and point first. Almost perfectly horizontal.  He would catch in his right (throwing) hand as it went past him and swing a wide arc with his arm to have the top vertical. 
Thanks for bring back old memories
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up