iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Magnetop  (Read 1713 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Magnetop
« on: November 09, 2019, 03:57:50 PM »

Here is a box I found a couple of months ago. The neat thing is that it becomes a counter display:

(I looked at old threads with Magnetops, but decided it was better to start a new one specific for thi kind of  tops)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Magnetop
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »

I still can’t throw tops yet. Now I’m shooting Bb pistols - it’s fun but not as good as my big Tuoluo Trick Fighting tops. Tao you have to try one. All of you Are missing out on a lot of fun.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 12:05:42 AM »

magnetop in action

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »

The Magnetop was made by American Magnetop Corp. from Brooklyn, New York:

For completeness, let's mention other very similar magnetops:

Groovy Grabber from Aurora Plastics Corp., West Hempstead, New York.

Obviously, one is a copy of the other and being both from New York state I would suspect that they were business related: a split? a license? buy out?
The American Magnetop Corp. is a specific company around this top while Aurora Plastics sounds more generic. One posibility is that the American Magnetop is a spinoff of Aurora. On the other hand, the special starter would suggest that the Aurora top was a later product.

There is a Canadian version, by Peter Austin, that most likely was licensed or re-branded:

And then there is a more recent (circa 2000) Australian remake, the Moose Magnetic Top (there were three versions):

The Moose claimed over 10,000 RPM, but I doubt anybody can spin that fast a regular throw top.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:21:14 PM by ta0 »

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 04:49:14 AM »

I would love to buy one, you know if there is a European verison??

Ludo

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 02:19:44 PM »

The patent for the Magnetop was issued on July 11, 1967 (US Pat. 3,330,067) but filed December 23, 1963, so the patent pending Magnetop must have be been produced between those dates:

The inventor was Arnold Starkenberg from Rockaway (Queens), NY, and assigned to American Magnetop Corporation. As the name implies a single product company I assume it was his company. Aurora Plastics may had made them for him and then acquired it (like Flambeau acquired Duncan), but then, why not keep the name Magnetop?  :-\

+++
EDIT: I found this:
1982-03-01 Assigned to AURORA PRODUCTS CANADA, LTD., A CORP. OF CANADA
1987-08-28 Assigned to CRESTON INVESTMENTS LIMITED
1987-10-13 Assigned to TOMY KOGYO CO., INC.
Tomy is still in business as a toy company. Surprisingly, a trademark search for Magnetop on the USPTO, doesn't find any hits, either live or dead.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:31:29 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 03:26:30 PM »

A fun fact: all but the Canadian top have the magnetic pole coinciding with the earth magnetic pole for its hemisphere: south magnetic pole pointing up for the Magnetop and Groovy Grabber and north magnetic pole pointing up for the Moose top. The Peter-Austin top has the north magnetic pole pointing up.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »

I have a Moose Magnetop (Glow Meteor version at that) and another that only has 'Made in China' embossed on the crowns top. I put the two top tops together and they were attracted to one another. Does the Magnetop or GG have any kind of labeling on their crowns?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 06:33:22 PM »

I have a Moose Magnetop (Glow Meteor version at that) and another that only has 'Made in China' embossed on the crowns top. I put the two top tops together and they were attracted to one another. Does the Magnetop or GG have any kind of labeling on their crowns?
Yes, they do:

I'm guessing the Pat. Pending on the Groovy Grabber is for the launcher.

If your Moose has the same polarity as mine (the Hurricane version), the Chinese should have the same as a the original Magnetop (south up). You could check using a compass.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:31:31 PM by ta0 »