iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Visit by Jeremy  (Read 1009 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Visit by Jeremy
« on: October 25, 2019, 12:46:03 AM »

Jeremy McCreary was at a convention in Austin and drove to San Antonio to see my collection and talk tops. He was here for about 6 hours, so it was a good visit but could have been much longer and we wouldn't have ran out of material.
The first thing he asked was to see my Simonelli top, of course. He got to spin it several times and we changed the tip back to high-speed steel but didn't have time to check the balance with a paint brush.
The Balaroo game was on the table and, as it had happened to me at Don Olney's, he got beginners luck and tumbled every single ball on the first spin.
Being Jeremy, the discussions many times took a technical slant  ::) what was different to other times I show the collection, but I enjoyed that. By the way, he described to me a very interesting experimental setup he has with a turntable that he will post soon here.
I have part of the collection still in boxes, so I couldn't fulfill all his requests, but I think he got a good serving of tops.  ;) I got good company and the opportunity to talk tops instead of working  ;D
Most of the day the weather was great, and we ate in the patio of a restaurant, but by the time he left a big thunderstorm started, so I imagine the trip back to Austin took much longer.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Visit by Jeremy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 08:26:16 AM »

Sounds like a fun visit.  Sorry some of your collection is still boxed up.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Visit by Jeremy
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:13:28 AM »

The night drive back to Austin was a real adventure, with near-zero visibility at times due to torrential rain. But the visit was totally worth it! Many thanks for ta0 for taking the time.

Well, if that was only 1/3 of ta0's collection, all I can say is, "WOW!" Got to see and handle all the peg tops you guys talk about and many, many more. Now more determined than ever to add a Giulia to my own collection for the look and hand-feel alone. Also enjoyed getting up close and personal with the big gasing I keep seeing on this forum. (Recipe for shoulder dislocation if you ask me.)

As an avid fan and builder of non-throwing tops with internal moving parts and unexpected visual effects and behaviors, especially enjoyed the many examples from Japan and from German maker Marklin. I've already made decent LEGO adaptations of some of these, but I'm itching now to get started on many more.

Of course, we nerded out on top physics at every turn. Most folks glaze over in nanoseconds when I bring this stuff up, so these exchanges were as refreshing as they were illuminating. Tops do the darnedest things, and 2 heads are definitely better than one when it comes to figuring out why.

My impressions of the exquisite Simonelli Nr. 40 I got to twirl here.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:57:36 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955