iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Trick? Widowmaker and Skydiver  (Read 1213 times)

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
New Trick? Widowmaker and Skydiver
« on: August 18, 2019, 07:43:11 PM »

- Submitted for consideration: potential new tricks from a trapeze throw launched upward landing on the open palm. The attached video shows several successful throws and catches. The 'Widowmaker' is a throw which is pulled back to the hand and caught with the fingers facing backward. The effect is best if caught above the shoulder close to the ear. I show the catch from both profiles. I think the trick looks best if the catch is hidden by the head and the player turns to reveal the top spinning in the hand. The 'Skydiver' is the same throw but no pull back. The top is caught in the palm with the fingers facing forward. It comes into the hand like a boomerang with a tall arc but has less speed. It's a good throw if the player intends to go straight into a regeneration move as there is less spin when the top lands in the hand. I have practiced a bit with this and it's possible to release the top with a pretty impressive amount of height.
- I have not seen anyone do this before and I was inspired by a prior post about regenerations where the person who shared their video was disappointed that their tricks were all done at a low height and lacked vertical interest. I thought the video was good but it led me to start thinking about ways to raise things up a bit like these throws. I am trying to work out how to do consistent throws from regenerations like diabolo players but I need to work at it a bit more before I share.
- No music on the video this time around....and diet and exercise started 2 weeks ago. Hopefully there will be less of me in future videos.

YouTube link here:

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: New Trick? Widowmaker and Skydiver
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »

YES, somebody posting videos of new tricks.  :)  We need more of that!

I believe Widowmaker is a legit new trick. Also, I don't think that the name has ever been used for a top trick. So, as far as I'm concerned, you have created and named a new trick. It's also showy, I liked it. Congrats!  :)

I don't think a high boomerang would be a new trick. For example, we were doing them at nats last year when we were going over the high strings.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 11:20:28 PM by ta0 »

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:27:36 PM »

Good job, my friend!  You never cease to amaze me.  See you on Friday!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 09:41:08 PM »

Ha!  Widowmaker!!!  Clever name.  Fun trick.  Good job.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »

Thank you, gents! I hope others give it a try.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »

Very cool!  I'll have to try it soon.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 05:21:47 PM »

you are a brave brave man  :o
damn that is really nice man