YES
- 8 (42.1%)
NO
- 8 (42.1%)
Won't know until close to the date
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Linked Events

• National Spin Top Championship at the Whirled Festival of To: August 24, 2019

Author Topic: National Spin Top Championship - 2019 - Miamisburg OH - August 24  (Read 22307 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: National Spin Top Championship - 2019 - Miamisburg OH - August 24
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2019, 04:15:25 AM »

MAMA MIA ! that's a looonnnng wirewalker !

it looks like the classic JohnM 's tip or is it a special one ?

bravo bravo !

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
Re: A 134 ft (40 m) wire walker in the Miamisburg fest
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2019, 08:30:08 AM »

Long wire walker, not the record setting run, but a fun angle.

I think this was the record setting run:

yes, that's the one!

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2019, 08:45:43 AM »

I will have to Waite till hip surgery is over. Maybe next summer I will try to beat it.
I wish you quick healing.  I know you will be breaking records again before we know it!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2019, 08:46:58 AM »

Ha ha....Moma Mia!!!  I love the use of that phrase in connection with this wire walker record.

Special congratulations to to Jim Neff for his idea and the planning behind this effort but it was fascinating to see it become a true team effort.  The group kept looking at the layout of the land, ways to keep the top from hitting the ground and more efficient spins before hitting super long efforts.  The whole process was quite fascinating to watch.  It is exciting for me to see our church building be a part of it all.  Now, every time I walk up that fire escape, I will remember these wire walkers!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Re: A 134 ft (40 m) wire walker in the Miamisburg fest
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2019, 09:41:04 AM »

I think this was the record setting run:

AWESOME!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2019, 10:25:28 AM »

Very impressive! I'm thinking Half Dome or El Capitan for the next attempt. Or the Grand Canyon.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »

Thanks for the kind words Renee. I think this should be called Stair Way from Heaven. And the picture with the clouds is BEAUTIFUL. Now I know where I want to go - when I ever go on a Jet. Tao this form makes my life much better - thanks for creating it.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2019, 01:54:27 PM »

Thanks for the kind words Renee. I think this should be called Stair Way from Heaven. And the picture with the clouds is BEAUTIFUL. Now I know where I want to go - when I ever go on a Jet. Tao this form makes my life much better - thanks for creating it.
Thank you Cecil for being here!

Here is Jim pulling into the parking lot at Nats (for an encore):

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2019, 03:27:59 PM »

Wow. Where to begin. Cecil ...please break 134 feet so we an have incentive to go further. I hope your condition improves.  Mike.... Thanks for hosting this event every year and being so gracious about it.  Thank you for listening to us when we ask you to Stop Speaking and you're a really GOOD BAD EATER.  Austin.....Thanks for the great stories and making me laugh. Eli....Thanks for amazing me. Mike Hick....Thanks for putting up with Austin. Renee...you are really smart. I did not know that. Betsy...Thanks for the idea of a rehearsal funeral. I might try that. Butterfingers....Thanks for all your help with everything. Your top spinning has improved greatly.  Mark and Jorge...Thanks for judging our competition. Mailman....It was great to have you there and I'm so glad you came. Kirk and Rachel.....sorry we didn't get to converse more but its always nice to see you. Johnm...You make amazing tops and thanks for bringing such a large assortment. Mark L......I very much liked you act. Lynn....you just keep getting better and better with tops. Bullwinkle's topped off a great day with everyone. The HOF was not the HOF I saw last year. What a great improvement with the Don Olney collection. Cant wait til next year.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

Jay

• ITSA Jr.
    • Miamisburg Whirled Festival of Tops
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2019, 05:34:17 PM »

It was another great year with some great weather this time :)  All pics are now up at both links... Enjoy

2019 Facebook Pics:  https://www.facebook.com/Sammy1000/media_set?set=a.10158400062533273&type=3

2019 Flickr Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sammy1000/albums/72157710558898762

I have not even looked at the vids yet... after the pics :)  I will let you all know that link

Thanks for another fun day of Tops
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:10:10 PM by Jay »

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2019, 05:58:52 PM »

Renee...you are really smart. I did not know that.
I'm going to take that as a compliment, and not ask what you thought before.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:04:59 PM by Renee »

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2019, 09:03:29 PM »

Jay, Thanks so much for all the excellent phots of the Festival goings-on!
Can't wait to see the rest of them and the videos.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:22:43 PM by Larry D. »

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »

What a fun weekend. It was good to see everyone who attended again. Mark and Betsy were 1st timers - I hope you both return next year. Thanks to John Markus for the assist on throwing large tops and to Jorge for explaining how sun's should be done. Shootist set me straight on how to release the gasing tops and Eli gave me some advice on which Markus tops to buy. Mark, Renee, and Lynn all threw Autograph boomerang for the first time. I enjoyed assisting Jim on the long wirewalks and sharing Kongzhu shenanigans. Thanks to Mike for hosting again and taking the time to play a couple tunes with me. Renee and Kirk got me started on the chonkakegama tops. It was good to visit with Mailman who traveled all the way from Florida. I am looking forward to seeing the photos Rachel shares with us. Mark Hayward lost his signature. It was last seen on autograph. If anyone finds it please let him know. Austin's wirewalker to toe makes me laugh every time. I picked up my 24 patch and I will be working toward the freestyle for next year....and Jay - good to see you again, sir! I am looking forward to your pics and hope to see you boomerang autograph in 2020.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2019, 10:04:56 PM »

Once more, I am thankful for the great weather we had because it has rained all day today.  That and the cooler weather would have made the weekend miserable.

Yes, thanks Jay for all the photos.  It reminded me of all the things we did, and some of the things I missed!

One thing I havn't mentioned was the enthusiasm at the park and not just over what happened on stage.  Every once in a while I would hear a giant cheer from out in the grass area.  I didn't know what happened.  Finally someone said "it's another person who finally landed a boomerang with that big Autograph top."

I got everything picked up and put away from the fellowship hall at the church.  Well, everything except the big banner.  It was good to see some skittle boards and games used for the first time.

The mayor came out of worship on Sunday and said "I'm sorry I let you down."  It turns out that he was at the hospital all day on Saturday with a sick brother in ICU.  We certainly understand that and are thankful for the 18 years he has throw out the ceremonial "first top."

Is it too early to talk about 2020 nationals?  I would like to nominate Miamisburg as a backup location so everyone knows there is a place out there bidding for the event.  I hope another situation comes up that is better or more convenient for a lot of players, but Miamisburg is here and ready to serve.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2019, 11:11:19 PM »

Thanks a lot Jay for the large quantity of photos documenting the event. And a bunch more are coming, including the group photo before the freestyles!
We need to nominate a couple of your photos for the annual photo contest. I like this one:

I'm sure it could get a great caption: something about what Austen is shouting to the top  >:D

Is it too early to talk about 2020 nationals?  I would like to nominate Miamisburg as a backup location so everyone knows there is a place out there bidding for the event.  I hope another situation comes up that is better or more convenient for a lot of players, but Miamisburg is here and ready to serve.
Wow! Thanks for the offer Mike! Even with all the work so fresh on your mind you are kind enough to offer hosting again! Thanks!
We'll do the contest where people are willing to go. If we do it somewhere else, at least a month before worlds would be ideal for those planning to compete on both.
Atlanta during the 4th of July weekend is a possibility rumbling in my head.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:13:29 PM by ta0 »
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up