iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Need help with boomerang trick!  (Read 8970 times)

Hydrona

Need help with boomerang trick!
« on: May 07, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »

Hello fellow spin top throwers,
Nice to meet you all!

Im new here.  I am a beginner at spin tops.  Also a yo-yo player  :). I asked around on the YoyoExpert forum for people who can teach me.
So I found my way to this forum! 
I can throw a top, it's just very hard to learn tricks.
The question is: how do I throw a boomerang with a heavy top?  The top is made of wood and does not have a 'crown'.
All my tops are wood, heavy and have no crown. Some of them already are covered in scratches, those I use for practicing that is...
According to Neff,  which I've met on the YYE forum,  I need to pull harder and faster.
Do I need to pull slighty upwards at the same time? How do I need to stand?  I have the feeling that I need to throw sideways/horizontal to be able to catch it.

Anyway,  I feel happy I found others! 
Warm greets,
Hydrona

How I learned the boomerang trick
What I’ve learned:
1.   All the people here are amazing ! be sure to ask them if you don’t understand a trick!
2.   Be sure to practice outside! You don’t want to break /hit something!
3.   Wind the top, hold tip upwards, and try to throw horizontal (from right to left) I’m a lefty so I did the opposite!
4.   Don’t try to “pull” the top towards you, rather try  to lift your wrist a bit (up), so that the top is slightly going upwards. Try to do it like a robot,  turn your wrist a bit "up".  Notice your arm moves in a half- circle movement. Counter clock-wise.
5.    When you throw the top, notice the string is almost at the same height as the top. The string needs to “lift” the top .
6.   Be sure to “know” your top’s weight. A small, light top needs less “force” to pull up, than a heavier big top.
7.   Don’t stress! If it does not work the first try, don’t give up! Take a break and try again the next day.

Hope I didn’t have any errors! This is what I’ve learned when I finally landed it.
Don’t hesitate to correct me if I’m wrong.

Some other great tips from the forum members here:

the Earl of Whirl:
 According to Dale Oliver, make a check in the air to get the top to come back to you.  Be sure not to twist your wrist back as you throw.  Try to keep the point upright.  Don't be afraid to keep practicing and working on it.  When you start getting it you will feel a nice sense of accomplishment.
Butterfingers:
  Remember when you throw the boomerang that you are trying to achieve a graceful arc back to your hand. You don't really 'pull back' because you don't want the top to come back directly at you (or your face).
Lift up like you just caught a fish and you're pulling it out of the water with your pole only pull slightly toward yourself - this will loft the top into the air so it falls down onto your palm. Do it gently or you might wind up hitting the ceiling or having it sail over your head.

Jmadrigal and Larry D. also have linked to very great tutorial video’s!
Thanks guys!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:11:40 AM by Hydrona »
We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Need help with boomerang trick!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »

Hello Hydrona.  Good to have you around here.  Glad you are spinning tops.  According to Dale Oliver, make a check in the air to get the top to come back to you.  Be sure not to twist your wrist back as you throw.  Try to keep the point upright.  Don't be afraid to keep practicing and working on it.  When you start getting it you will feel a nice sense of accomplishment.  Good luck and good spinning!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »

I made a few videos last year. Throwing the top is on there. If you don't have a crown the windup and throw is similar to tops with the crown. The only difference is that instead of wrapping the string around the crown just lay it flat along the body and wind as usual . Estimating how much string to leave out is trial and error. Good luck.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »

Welcome to the Forum Hydrona!

This posting I did a while ago shows several methods for wrapping and throwing a boomerang of various crownless tops.  I hope one of these methods help.

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,2477.msg25326.html#msg25326

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:50:11 AM by Larry D. »

kevinm

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 08:56:24 PM »

Welcome Hydrona,

Glad to see you joined the forum! These  are the folks that can answer all your wooden top questions. I don’t post much and I can’t help you with that, I am mostly here just to argue about Duncan toys, but you found the best place for expert spin top knowledge.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 09:17:51 PM »

Welcome Hydrona!  I remember having so much trouble learning to boomerang.  I made much more progress when the weather finally cooperated enough to practice outside.  The fear of property damage goes way down, but the fear of personal injury remains.  I imagine many forum members have had a few close calls learning to boomerang.  There was a period when my dog would run out of the room when she saw a top.  Anyway, the boomerang was a major stumbling block for me, as well as crazy eights.  Now I can do them both without fail, with almost any top I own.  Just keep at it!  So, now I am struggling with new tricks and I keep reminding myself of the progress I've made. 

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 11:47:11 PM »

Ha ha!!!  The dog ran out of the room when she saw a top.  Classic.

By the way, I totally agree with the outdoor comments and plenty of space to make mistakes.

Hydrona

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 03:02:05 AM »

Thank you all so much  :)
I have room in my garage outside to practice. The fear of damaging things is reduced when I'm throwing there.
No fear of damaging things , so I throw more self-confident. 
Today, I gonna to practice again. It is raining here,  but it's dry in the garage  ;)
Thank you all for the great tips!  I sure keep it in mind when I throw. 
I'll Let you know when I landed it!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »

Welcome Hydrona!!!

A lot of good advice here! Make sure you don't have a pair of glasses you care about when learning boomerangs :) My old glass can tell you a tale about a couple of corkscrew gone bad :)

I need to get back to my wooden tops. I've thrown mexican hollow top for the better part of the last 2 year :)

Keep at it! you'll get it!!! Cheers
paxl
Spinning is life!!!!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »

I'll give my two cents worth for free.

Remember when you throw the boomerang that you are trying to achieve a graceful arc back to your hand. You don't really 'pull back' because you don't want the top to come back directly at you (or your face).

Lift up like you just caught a fish and you're pulling it out of the water with your pole only pull slightly toward yourself - this will loft the top into the air so it falls down onto your palm. Do it gently or you might wind up hitting the ceiling or having it sail over your head.

When you get it to work consistently (and you will!) please share the news of your progress with us.

....welcome to the forum.

Hydrona

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 11:20:42 AM »

Alright!  Great advice and tips :)
I'll try hard Next days.  Thank you!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 11:59:22 AM »

A graceful arc......pulling fish out of the water with your pole...……….I like those!!!  And good advice that did not even cost two cents.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 05:24:28 PM »

I saw in your YYE post that you have replaced one of the tips with a shorter one - are you able to wind it up with the new tip?

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 07:35:30 PM »

Welcome!
a graceful arc back to your hand.
Nicely worded.
And by the way if you throw across your body, then the top will fly back in front of you from left to right. This is much easier to catch than coming towards you.
Are you good at correcting a leaning top in you hand yet?  This is a key to keeping the top for more than just a second.  I used a gyroscope sitting at my desk to practice just this one thing.
I still remember the many hours and hours it took me to learn this. 

A friend of mine has this wacky boomerang where the top come back tip first. He is so good at correcting the lean he will easily catch a top that is almost horizontal.  Before I saw this I would give up on throws that were sub par.  Now I have learned to try to catch whatever comes back.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:52 AM »

a graceful arc back to your hand.

This indeed is the best description I've seen of a boomerang ( It might even have helped me 2 years ago... ) I used to remember to just pull hard... I know for a fact tho that I still can't boomerang my HEAVY wooden tops...

A friend of mine has this wacky boomerang where the top come back tip first. He is so good at correcting the lean he will easily catch a top that is almost horizontal.  Before I saw this I would give up on throws that were sub par.  Now I have learned to try to catch whatever comes back.

I relate to this too... at some point, the string length also become not important too... I usually use either 60, 68 or 85 inch string for any of my top and can throw / do all my tricks on them! That said, it took more than a year to get there. Personally my big walls were

- Boomerang
- Crazy 8
- Rollercoaster
- Orbits
- Wheels of fortunes ( I haven't broken this one yet )...

But yeah boomerang took me a good 6 month to get consistant result ( but I wasn't throwing as consistantly as I do these days )