iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trip-L-Top  (Read 4410 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Trip-L-Top
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »

what in the world is this!?!?!????

www.ebay.ca/itm/261630659108
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:35:54 AM by ta0 »

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: Trip-L-Top
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »

Looks like a top for a 3 handed player.  :)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »

I don't know what that is, but I'm pretty sure I need one.... :D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »

The Trip-L-Top is a three nested top like the Triate we discussed before. It is from the 50 or 60's, I have to look again at the patent to be sure (although multiple nested tops are much older). I also have the little instruction sheet that came with it. I'll take a photo tonight.

My favorite triple top is the Anderson all metal I showed in Prague. Then there is Alan's Triple Play  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:55:53 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:19:52 AM »

Here is a photo of my red, white and blue Trip-L-Top.

The US patent is number 2,619,769 and was awarded on December 2, 1952, to Donald L. Gallaher from Seattle, Washington (filed May 18, 1948). I believe it corresponds to this top because the internal shape follows closely the drawings and the card with the directions lists the company as Plastal Specialties of Seattle. However, there are many other patents for multiple nested tops. For example, 3,201,896, awarded on August 24,1965, looks very similar. Or much earlier, like 1,858,639 from July 6, 1931, also for a nested 3+ peg top.

Now, I have a copy of a toy trade magazine ad from 1950 for my favorite triple top, the Rocketop from Anderson Die Casting and Engineering. So, go figure . . .

Here is the Trip-L-Top spinning:

PS: I have an extra instructions card, torn in two pieces but complete. IF (and only if) you already have the top (or win this auction) you can have it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:56:27 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:21:58 AM »

Here is a photo of my red, white and blue Trip-L-Top.

The US patent is number 2,619,769 and was awarded on December 2, 1952, to Donald L. Gallaher from Seattle, Washington (filed May 18, 1948). I believe it corresponds to this top because the internal shape follows closely the drawings and the card with the directions lists the company as Plastal Specialties of Seattle. However, there are many other patents for multiple nested tops. For example, 3,201,896, awarded on August 24,1965, looks very similar. Or much earlier, like 1,858,639 from July 6, 1931, also for a nested peg top.

Now, I have a copy of a toy trade magazine ad from 1950 for my favorite triple top, the Rocketop from Anderson Die Casting and Engineering. So, go figure . . .

Here is the Trip-L-Top spinning:

PS: I have an extra instructions card, torn in two pieces but complete. IF (and only if) you already have the top (or win this auction) you can have it.
wow thanks for going to that kind of trouble ta0  :o   uuuuuuuuuuugh this top speaks but i dont understand its words right now @-@
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:56:53 AM by ta0 »

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 11:47:21 PM »

Just picked these up on ebay.  The package gives the manufacturer as Norco Metal Products.  They haven't arrived yet.  I don't need all three, if someone is interested in one.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 11:52:49 PM »

Sign me up Renee, I'll take one if available.
Thanks.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 12:39:45 AM »

Hadn't seen them in the bag before.  8)
My guess is that mine was packaged in a box, because of the instructions sheet it came with when I got it.
I would have liked to have one but I'll give preference to somebody who doesn't have a Trip-L-Top.
A really great catch, Renee!

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »

The Trip-L-Tops came yesterday.  The seller had just tossed them in one of those plastic shipping bags, so the labels got really crumpled, and the bags are torn.  But, good news is, there were four tops instead of three as described.  One does not have a label.  I would sell three of the tops.  I will just photocopy the label for myself, if someone doesn't mind that I un-staple one of the tags to make the copy.  Then all three will get a label, slightly crumpled as they are.  I would like to get $6 plus shipping, which for a top is usually around $3.75, so let's say $10 each includes shipping in the U.S.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

Sign me up Renee, I'll take one if available.
Thanks.

Larry, you get first pick.  There are two like the open one, red with a grey middle top.  And one with a dark grey bottom, light grey middle, and red crown.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 01:30:26 PM »

Renee,
The open one will be just fine. 
Please keep the label for yourself because I'll be using the top for my library programs, it'll be a working top not part of a "collection".
Thanks!  :)

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »

Renee,
The open one will be just fine. 
Please keep the label for yourself because I'll be using the top for my library programs, it'll be a working top not part of a "collection".
Thanks!  :)

You got it.  I've been tossing one around in the kitchen today, and I have to say it is wicked fun!  I may change my mind and keep two of them, in case I break one, I'd still have another to play with.  I only have a few tops I consider part of a "collection", mainly because they're not much fun to throw but still nice to look at.  Like those tin tops.  I've come around to the position that they are made to play with.  On some days, when I'm not trying to learn or improve a certain trick, I make it a point to throw every one of my tops a few times each.  If I don't stop buying tops, that process may take all day.   :D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 09:31:45 AM »

If Larry doesn't want the tag, I do!  ;) I can send you the extra instructions sheet in exchange.

I may change my mind and keep two of them, in case I break one, I'd still have another to play with.

If you keep two, you can try to stack an extra middle section and throw 4 at the same time:

There is a big gap, but it works.  :)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:55:06 AM by ta0 »

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »

If Larry doesn't want the tag, I do!  ;) I can send you the extra instructions sheet in exchange.

If you keep two, you can try to stack an extra middle section and throw 4 at the same time:

There is a big gap, but it works.  :)

I will get that extra tag to you Ta0.  I may have to try the four-ply top!  Thanks for the suggestion. 

There are still to Trip-L-Tops left, if anyone wants one.