iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Are you coming to Miamisburg (Whirl Festival and Nats 2018)?

YES
- 17 (65.4%)
NO
- 9 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Miamisburg 2018 Stage for competition  (Read 49488 times)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: Miamisburg 2018 Stage for competition
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »

So, is there a schedule being worked for the nationals?

We should have a good turnout. I think there should be a ladder for people not ready to freestyle.

Preregistration?

I figure we should have music ready as well. Should we just bring it along or submit it in advance?

We should talk about battles as well.

This might be in the works, but just wanted to get the conversation started.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »

I don't have the answers for you, Jose, as I have zero experience with competitions of this type.

I'm real excited to get to see it happen, though!  Looking forward to it!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2018, 12:48:07 AM »

I am in Houston for our five day national Lutheran gathering.  So far, only on top in sight among 30,000 people and that is the one I brought.

Often, John Marcus hosts people who want to visit his place on Friday evening.  Saturday morning the joke is that we can find him under a tree at 9am on the church lawn at St. Jacob.  Usually there is a lunch break around noon or one.  Dale says they need just one hour for competition so my idea was to do that at 3pm.  At 5pm we move down to the main stage at Riverfront park and organize kids battles while adults spin in the grass.  The event is officially over at 8pm then we head to Bullwinkle's Top Hat Bistro for some sustenance.  Often people stop by the Hall of Fame after the meal.  We have had a number of people stay for worship on Sunday at 10:30 or noon.

That is a general overview of what we have done in the past!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:44:18 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2018, 11:25:25 PM »

Perfecto espero estar en este día amigo mike

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2018, 12:45:34 AM »

Finally, a slight connection here in Houston.  I met a guy from Ashland, Ohio with a kendama.  He seemed quite interested in some of my spin top tricks.  He was very impressive with his kendama work so I told him about Worlds in Cleveland next year.  He was excited about all the possibilities and the fact that it was so close.  Sadly, we do not really have any kendama activity in Miamisburg so I could not get him going in that direction.

While here at the Hilton Americas I got an idea to try a new challenge.  How many flights can one go up with a top spinning in their hand.  I got up seven of them.  I will try for eight before we leave tomorrow for home to get ready for the nationals in the Burg.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »

I made it up 8 flights before leaving Houston.  I think more physical top spinning could be in my future as I try to stay active and incorporate spinning into all of that.  Looking online I found the tallest building in Miamisburg (outside of our steeple) has 9 flights.  Sound like a good goal and something I can talk about to others while promoting Aug. 25th.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2018, 04:23:43 PM »

Is this the thread for 2018 Nationals info?  Sorry, I've been out of the loop. 

Daveid and I plan to attend, maybe Scott also.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2018, 12:25:13 AM »

What?  A return trip to Miamisburg for the fabulous spinning duo?  What a great day this is for the top spinning whirled!!!  Scott would be icing on the cake.

Yes, so far this is the thread.  It has been hit and miss but I am sure you saw our skeleton schedule......

"Often, John Marcus hosts people who want to visit his place on Friday evening.  Saturday morning the joke is that we can find him under a tree at 9am on the church lawn at St. Jacob.  Usually there is a lunch break around noon or one.  Dale says they need just one hour for competition so my idea was to do that at 3pm.  At 5pm we move down to the main stage at Riverfront park and organize kids battles while adults spin in the grass.  The event is officially over at 8pm then we head to Bullwinkle's Top Hat Bistro for some sustenance.  Often people stop by the Hall of Fame after the meal.  We have had a number of people stay for worship on Sunday at 10:30 or noon.  That is a general overview of what we have done in the past!"

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:23 PM »

Do we know how many players will be competing?

Does anyone out there want a trick ladder for those not ready to freestyle? Please respond if you want this.

Will there be a PA to play our music? (An MC to anounce players?)

I will be comming in on the Thursday night before the competition.

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »

Planning on being there, not competing of course!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »

Planning on being there, not competing of course!

Wonderful!  :)
I look forward to finally meet you in person!

Do we know how many players will be competing?
Does anyone out there want a trick ladder for those not ready to freestyle? Please respond if you want this.
Will there be a PA to play our music? (An MC to anounce players?)
I will be coming in on the Thursday night before the competition.
I'm sure there will be a PA and MC. There will also be a trick ladder.
Not sure how many people will freestyle besides you. I hope Eli does. And Mike (first nationals, after so many worlds). I might, if needed.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2018, 03:26:07 PM »

Tom will be there as well.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »

If no one else wants to do it, I will be glad to MC.  As far as music, we have a handy CD player there.  I am assuming people will come with other ways to play their music so I am hoping someone can help with that.

I will be happy to open the freestyles with a low scoring and light hearted freestyle.  I have challenged Jim Neff to follow suit and also have a fun routine with some of his creative items.  After that, I am assuming people like both Hickersons, Kirk, Tom and maybe John Buechele might freestyle along with jmadrigal.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »

I'm a beginning top spinner (regeneration is still evading me), and nowhere ready to freestyle.  But, I'm curious about a trick ladder.  Is there an accepted set of rules for a ladder that will be used?  Also, will there be a battle top competition?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2018, 11:08:03 PM »

The last sports trick list of tricks included 40 tricks from which people could pick and chose. It has been recently proposed to make it again a true ladder and cut the list to 20 tricks.
This has not yet been decided.
You can see those tricks here: http://www.ta0.com/tricks/sport-division/sports_division.html
Except the year Eli competed, being able to do 10 tricks of the list was enough to make you competitive.