iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Finger Top with Carbon Steel Bearing Ball  (Read 3780 times)

Bob Gunther

• ITSA Jr.
    • Instagram
Re: Finger Top with Carbon Steel Bearing Ball
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »

A top that spins for 10 or 30 minutes, while technically amazing, is so boring.  Grass can grow in this amount of time.
Then again I was never fascinated by fishing. So it might be me.

Funny!

You can't go wrong with the look of maple in my opinion.  You have a nice looking top.  Double fun can be had as it looks like you could spin it on the stem with a finger snap or in the more conventional way.

Learned over the summer that finger tops can be spun upside down if I put a bit of a point on that end too! And thanks for the praise!

I hope the maker won't be insulted by frank comments.

If you mean me, I prefer frank comments. How else will I know what to improve? As to your suggestions, I will take that perimeter weight into account with my next one. As for stone or marble perimeters ... interesting!

... a longer stem/tip and higher rotor ...

Another good piece of advice that I have made note of! Thanks.
No matter how often I go in circles, I am determined to stick to the point!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Re: Finger Top with Carbon Steel Bearing Ball
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »

A top that spins for 10 or 30 minutes, while technically amazing, is so boring.  Grass can grow in this amount of time.
Then again I was never fascinated by fishing. So it might be me.

Long-spinning tops have an attraction that can't be denied, and they're a lot of fun to engineer. But I started having a lot more fun overall -- both as a finger top designer and player -- when I starting allowing myself to make tops with other virtues.

Learned over the summer that finger tops can be spun upside down if I put a bit of a point on that end too!

Looks like you're way ahead of us here, Bob.

... a longer stem/tip and higher rotor ...
Another good piece of advice that I have made note of! Thanks.

You've probably already discovered that raising the rotor can be taken too far. Unfortunately, the sweet spot will vary from top to top and may be hard to find when you're fabricating rather than assembling from a repertoire of parts like I do.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up