iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thinking about selling spin tops...  (Read 2286 times)

TheSpinForce

Thinking about selling spin tops...
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:30:11 AM »

As I get better at spin tops I'm thinking about adding them as something I sell in my store and at contests along with my diabolos. I wanted to get the community's perspective to see opinions on good tops and if you know any wholesale vendors I can get those tops from. Also what range do you think people are willing to buy tops for... seeing as how kids drop over 100 on one yoyo, they may be willing to spend at least $15 on a top?

On a side note I modified my company logo with a top, maybe I'll make shirts of those too for selling. I'm currently trying to decide to use the logo with the green swirl going in front, or to hide it behind the top...

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Re: Thinking about selling spin tops...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 04:02:28 AM »

For tops, YYF has the best stuff at the best beginner prices in my opinion. You can sell an Elec-Trick(non-LED) and a Short Circuit as a set for anywhere from $15-20. Most people will drop a $20 fast. Remember, you're focusing on beginners, and even new yoyo people won't spend more than $20 on a yoyo normally. The advantage you offer is "I can show you how to use it." That's a major selling point. Tops aren't easy to get started with, especially solo. With help, the odds of success increase tremendously.

I would contact YoYoFactory directly. You'll need a reseller's permit and a minimum order to get started. After that, it's "all your problem", but I'll say if you charge me for shipping, I'll take a couple of each off you. I forget what colors I "need". I like these tops. They aren't the greatest,  but they play way better than their retail price suggests. I enjoy playing them.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:54 AM »

Forum member (and all-around good guy) silvertop has told me several times that the main challenge of selling skill toys is that you need to have someone demonstrate how to use what you're selling. A spin top sitting in a package is not as interesting as seeing one in motion, especially to someone who doesn't know what a spin top is. I second the YYF idea as the short circuit is a nice playing little top and inexpensive. You may also consider the Spintastics tops and Bearing King from Duncan as they are also (generally) affordable and durable. BK comes with extra tips and introduces a new player to fixed and Bearing play. The BK comes from a brand that your yoyo audience already is familiar with.

I have seen several tip failures with the YYF bearing model and do not recommend them. The Duncan Imperial IMHO is a poor playing top and may discourage a new player.

taking into account playability, durability and price you can't beat a Bearing King for a beginner top. If you sell BK's to new players you could help them tape their crowns, too. Again, back to the demonstration idea...

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »

The progression I use for tops is.
Short Circuit -> Trompo Grande -> Quicksilver
Usually don't go to Quicksilver untill competent at regeneration.
I have atleast a dozen players started. 5 have moved to the Trompo Grande and a couple have moved to the Quicksilver. This model seems to be working for me.
If I am selling at a show the only tops you would need are short circuits.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »

I concur that Short Circuit really is a nice lil' top that makes boomerang 'easy' as how easy that can be. Take into consideration that I am still a beginner too :)
Spinning is life!!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »

The YYF Short Circuit (fixed tip) is a very good choice for a beginner. It replaced the Gladiator from Spintatstics as my recommended fixed tip top for beginners.
The Trompo Grande from Spintastics is a good next step.

There is not a really good bearing cheap top for beginners. The Bearing King I cannot recommend it unless you replace the string that comes with each top (too short: most frustrating thing there is), tape the rim and you put a warning not to use the slot  ::) The Spintastics bearing tips need adjustments from time to time. Some of the Mexican bearing (turbo) models might be the best option here.

I like the logo with the S going around the top.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:17:34 AM by ta0 »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »

On a side note I modified my company logo with a top, maybe I'll make shirts of those too for selling. I'm currently trying to decide to use the logo with the green swirl going in front, or to hide it behind the top...
The 2016/2017A is the strongest graphically.  A top could be exchanged for the diablo. The green goes over the spinning item enough to imply motion but not so much as to obscure it. 2017-C has too much green over the top.  2017-D has the top driving down the green highway but not spinning.
my $0.02

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 12:47:39 AM »

hello
good project

for the logo : I prefer the green swirl behind the top...2017-D
for the range of price : Short circuit is a fair choice except for the potential slim margin of profit between whole sale purchase and retail sale
you could also try to start at 10$ retail with mexican fixtip tops (like cometas)
(get a hundred at no more than 3/3.5 wholesale)

my 2 euro cents ;)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 01:01:52 AM »

Try tapering the top in the logo a bit. More like the shape of a Trompo Grande or an S8 top. This might make the "s" less hidden.

As for selling, you already know how to sell spinning things and how hard it can be. Perhaps for online sales you can team up with a supplier with fulfillment services to minimize your inventory. 

IMHO the Short Circuit is a bit harder for some to learn with.  I do not know why.   Rachel can not use YYF string nor buttons and it took her a while to adjust her throw for the Short Circuit.  As much as we like the Short Circuit, we still like to teach with Spintastics sidewinders. 

The Trompo Bearing is the very best top to learn crazy 8s and merry go round (yes sometimes you need to pull the tip to re-seat the bearings)

Attila

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 06:28:33 AM »

For a very long time I only had cometa tops available to buy and I think for beginners they are awesome. The strings you get with them are one of the best out there. Only they got a bit short after a while (a few years). The turbo ones are great for bearing play and though I never taught anyone to play spin tops I would recommend starting out with a Turbo Dragon or a Duncan Bearing King.
Of course I never had a chace to play with a Short circuit or a Spintastics top so I can't really say which way is better.