iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: metal spinning top for Toupie hollandaise: how to make it bouncy?  (Read 15604 times)

Bert

Re: metal spinning top for Toupie hollandaise: how to make it bouncy?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2018, 03:27:34 PM »

Good news: I have found a guy who can reproduce these spinning tops. He is a real artist, but does not want his name out in the open.
He works in a metal processing company and uses the company machine for my order. But he is willing to make some more of these. He was quite enthousiastic.

i have ordered a replica for one of my Toupie hollandaise. Is is brilliant! He was thinking about how to make it for many hours and got up early to make it after one night where he had a flash of insight.
It is made from 2 pieces of metal (steel and brass) wedged together. it is hollow and whistles. it has the hole in the side, just like the one from Cyril above.

see pictures below:

so if you want to have a toupie like this one, just let me know and i'll ask. The guy is not very young any more, but he will be working a couple of years more. he told me that there are no young people able to do these things any more.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »

well done!
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Cyrillic

Spinnig top
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2022, 03:59:08 PM »

Hello
I'm trying to make one Dutch game (Dutch Spinning Top). Tell me please, what is the secret of the top? Why is he so briskly repelled from the sides and posts?

I understand that the point is in its foundation ... But maybe there are some other secrets

​Игра „голландский волчок - YouTube
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 05:31:42 PM by ta0 »

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Spinnig top
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2022, 04:19:35 PM »

Try making the top out of balance by adding weight to one side, such as a nail or screw

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »

I merged this question with another thread about the same subject.
=========

First of all, welcome Cyrillic (Cyril) to the forum. We have some other members from Russia but they are not currently active.

By the way, that video you linked is a re-post by somebody of a video I made when I visited the collection of Cyril from France. This is the original video on youtube:

What Cyril says at 1:56 is that the axis is never well centered because of the way the bottom is shaped, and to him that explains the bouncing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:57:47 PM by ta0 »

Cyrillic

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2022, 04:43:18 AM »

Thank you. I am glad to be hear in your forum.
I found all information that i need/ Now I am try to make my own Toupie Hollandaiese
Pages: « 1 2 3 4   Go Up